Linked Events

• 2nd NC Knap-In&Prim. Skills: September 18, 2009 - September 20, 2009

Author Topic: 2ed North Carolina Knap-in & Primitive Skills Rendezvous-Sept 18,19,20-2009  (Read 59374 times)

Offline Hardawaypoints

Re: 2ed North Carolina Knap-in & Primitive Skills Rendezvous-Sept 18,19,20-2009
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2009, 12:53:41 am »
Hey Steven, 

You can bring the chainsaw, it is unclear if you'll need it...though it could be used as an alarm clock in the mornings...nobody would likely do anything to you as long as that saw was buzzing, but you'll have to stay out of arrow & atlatl dart range.  Just kidding.

There will be porta john there and the out building has a well, but it probably hasn't been run since last year & I don't know if the water is safe to drink yet. My company does well water testing, and I will have a sample analyzed before the event so we know what the deal is with it.  If necessary, I can chlorinate the well  beforehand to kill any bacteria present and leave a little bit in the well to kill any bacteria, but not make the water taste worse that city water usually tastes.

Otherwise, the site is a long grass landing strip with woods to the sides. Check out the pictures from last year's event to get a better idea of what to expect.  Bring some bug spray & sunscreen, as there ain't much shade. Also, make sure you have a good ground cloth, as there can be quite a lot of dew. For anybody who is bringing tables or equipment of any kind, make sure you have covers for anything to be left out, or maybe store it in a vehicle over night to keep it dry.  It is also a good idea to bring a towel to wipe the moisture off your chair.

I will also have bottled water and Gatorade for sale, but no munchies like last year.  I got aggravated by having to stop knapping or what I was talking about to deal with anybody waving a dollar. I also hope to join in the knapping pit this year. I was kind of tied to the tables last year & want to change that some.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2009, 10:54:55 pm »
Search as I may, I cannot find the pictures from last years Knap-in. Is there another post that has them?

If not, does anyone know of another post that has previous knap-in pitures?

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2009, 11:55:41 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,2650.0.html

Try this.  The last two pages have some pictures from last year.

Jim

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2009, 09:50:46 am »
Has anyone thought or worked any on a formal schedule for some classes or are we just gonna wing it?

Know dick was key last year to scheduling etc and think he is really busy this year.

I'm good with either way.

I wont be able to make it up there until sat afternoon as I have sat am commitments that I cant get out of. But will be there sat afternoon until we are done on sun.

later
wade
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2009, 02:47:29 pm »
I haven't seen the schedule, but I know Dick was working on one.  He is due back in town Monday or Tuesday, so I expect him to post something here then.

TWO WEEKS FROM TODAY!

We have to do some mowing & a little grounds prep yet to do out there. I'm already packing up stuff around here to get ready.
Looking forward to it.

Jim

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2009, 11:18:26 pm »
hi every one i will be there don't know if i can help but I'm bringing some pressure flaker's i made and grinding stones have some obsidian left a little small
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 01:56:55 am by bryan irwin »
bryan irwin

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2009, 09:51:16 am »
Come on out Bryan. It doesn't matter if you have anything to add or not.  This just a fun gathering.  If you learn something, great! If you can teach something, that's great too. It is all about having a good time with fellow knappers & primitive skills enthusiasts.

Went out to the site yesterday and someone has stolen all the remaining firewood from the stack >:(.  I intend to go do some work on-site tomorrow.  I can also probably cut some wood over at Dick's, though I'm not up for splitting it yet.

Jim

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2009, 10:43:08 am »
Wade, we'll schedule when we get there, I guess. We have a list of people signed up for different things, so we'll just have to see who shows up and when. I'll try to get hold of a dry-erase board or something similar that we can post a schedule on-site. If I wasn't coming from 250 miles away, I'd bring down a load of firewood.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DBernier

« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2009, 06:42:11 pm »
OK Folks I am back and the next two weeks are dedicated to the site. I am having some problems mowing the site because the tractor is giving me fits. "Should" have it cleared up on Monday or Tuesday. We have power there at the site and Jim and I will see if we can get the well pump going. We will also have a good supply of drinking water in our 5 gallon containers. I will also have some 5 gal. buckets with water for anyone needing water for their demos and we can refill them. We have the loan again of the two 10 x 20 foot shelters. We need you to bring any pop-ups you may have and especially any tables. I will try and bring a few but I fear it will not be enough.
  If you want to camp primitive, do so. Any displays you can bring will be a great help if any of the public shows up. I here some scouts will be there camping.
   I will post a schedule tomorrow night, early, of the people who volunteered to do demos etc. I will be on site from the 16th thru to the 21st. You can come early and camp and help if you wish. later

Dick Bernier
1 336 562 3700 H
1 336 263 8880 Cel

DBernier

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2009, 11:05:57 am »
Well I got the tractor going and I can start mowing this afternoon. Its amazing what spending a little $ will do to solve your problems in a crysis.  ;D

Below. or wherever, is a word document showing the list of volunteers and what they are doing. If you are on the list for a demo, email me for a time you wish to do it. I need to know who will be working on the raffle bow. I have a log we can split and the wedges and maul to do it and the firewood. I will bring a draw knife and hope to have my "draw vice" fixed by then.
  I will have a post hole digger for those who need one. I will bring as much firewood as I can, but if you can bring some for yourself that would be a good thing.

Remember, tables, chairs and a pop-up if you have one. There is no shade along the promenade (air strip) You can park your vehicles as you did last year, close to your camps or in the parking area.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2009, 02:57:19 pm »
Dick got another 20'x10' canopy and I got another 15'x15' to add, so there ought to be plenty of shade this year.

Dick is going out to mow again later today.  Joe is going to meet me out there on Saturday morning to get up some firewood.  I'll also bring my mower to cut closer up in the main activity area and whatever else needs it.

I have a small anvil mounted on a workbench that I'll be bringing for those who want to pound & file flaker tips.

Just over a week away!  Hope you can join us.

Jim

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2009, 11:01:15 pm »
We got the site as mowed as it is going to get. You could golf on the main area.  Dick had to get a new battery for the tractor, but it ran well once he got it going.  Joe came out and cut & stacked firewood.  I mowed and joined Joe in the firewood detail.  I also checked the well pump & got it functioning.  The water doesn't look very clear at the moment, but I'll have it tested to see if it is safe to consume (or if it is just fit to put out a fire).

This year, we are going to set up the canopies where everybody camped last year and vice-versa. The parking area will be closer to where the event is being held also.

Things are shaping up nicely. It won't be long now.

Jim

DBernier

« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2009, 09:58:04 am »
To keep this going I would like to refer to the Volunteer list a couple of posts ago on Sept 7th. We had an idea to do a self bow, from scratch, photograph the building process, and then raffle it off on Sunday to a lucky winner. I am not sure we can do this as the people left, now signed up for this is Wade Shikowski,  Kevin Strader and David Knight. David will have his own Vendor table and will be tied up doing that as well as helping people shape their own bows from the stock wood he will bring. Wade, because of personal commitments, cannot be there, I think, till late Saturday. I do not think it is fair to "dump" this all on Kevin at this last moment in time. I will have a 6 inch Osage loge to split and if there is enough enthusiasm maybe we can do it. Its a good idea and a worthy one. If there are others willing to step up and pitch in, maybe we can "get er done."
  If there are other vendors/participants who wish to donate to the raffle please contatact me.
  We will have 4 rather large shelters there and a bunch of tables. I think we could use more fold up tables and if you can supply your own for whatever you demo, that will be great. Remember to bring stools and or chairs. There will be some there but not nearly enough. As Jim noted we have the well running. This is a big deal for those of you who need water for your demos. I will have 5 gallon buckets full for you to use. I will have a large "drinking" water container with plenty of water and ice, to be refiled as necessary. What you bring extra is for yourself. And a big thanks to Joe for getting the firewood going.
   Amy and I are going out this morning (Sunday) to replenish the flyer's at the stores etc. Don't know how well this will work but we have to try. I have some inquires on weather "scouts" can camp there. Yes you can and it is only $2 a car load to do it. I understand some are comming from as far away as Columbia SC. Lets hope so.
  The area is looking very good for us and as Jim noted we will switch sides this year. I should have ALL the shelters set up by late Thursday with the help of a friend of mine who is not really involved in this.
  If you have any input or suggestions, please contact me or Jim

Dick
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 11:49:28 am by DBernier »

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2009, 12:04:30 pm »
Dick, I'm going to try to be down there by dark Thursday afternoon.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DBernier

« Reply #74 on: September 13, 2009, 02:00:53 pm »
Thanks Steve. The prep work is a lot this year. Appreciate it.

Dick