Author Topic: New Member  (Read 18388 times)

Offline Buffalogobbler

« on: March 22, 2009, 10:30:03 pm »
Hello to Everyone!
My name is Kevin J. Raybould
I live in the Buffalo area of western New York.
I am a Hawkeye Bowmen Member.
I am a Game call maker, I make fancy turkey, Goose, Duck and Deer Calls.
I spend most of my online time on the "Customcallsonline" site.
I've been a bowhunter all of my adult life and started shooting a long bow about five years ago.
Last summer at the Hawkeye Bowmen Traditional shoot I made my first self bow.
It's not done yet but last fall I put a temporary finish on it so I could hunt with it.
I'll post some pics of the bow when I finnish it.
I took two deer with it while hunting from the ground and now I'm HOOKED!
Here's My first buck with My self bow "Hawkeye Spirit".

Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline DanaM

Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 07:32:08 am »
Welcome to PA Kevin, looks like some fancy carving on that stick :) Can't wait to see her done.

Nice deer also :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 08:34:29 am »
Welcome aboard, Kevin. Congratulations on the deer, and that looks like a really nice bow-I like the carving for sure. Post some pics in the "Bows" section!
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 09:14:27 am »
Welcome Kevin,you will like it here,tell Davy/Chuck/Big John and Glenn Pappy said ha.Nice looking bow and deer.Congrats. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 10:04:41 am »
Welcome brother, fine harvest with your bow.. looks like that stick you built has some big medicine.. great place here for fellow brothers of the bow..Hawk.. a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline n2everythg

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 10:15:14 am »
welcome aboard... enjoy the ride.
N2
N2
East Coast of Nowhere

Offline mrkinsey

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 11:27:39 am »
Hey Kevin.  My name is Mike Kinsey.  I live in western NY also (but closer to Rochester).  When is the next Hawkeye open shoot?  I had read somewhere it was in Alden the last weekend in August.  Am I correct in this?
There is always Hope.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 11:04:02 pm »
Thank You to everyone for the warm welcome!

I have been poking around here for a while,
and I must say that I am continually amazed at the knowledge and the talent displayed in the various threads.
It is quite inspiring!
And maybe a bit intimidating.

As I said, I am a callmaker, and one thing that I have noticed is the similarities between callmakers and Bowyers.

Aint' Nothin' like callin' in a turkey or duck with a call you made yourself!
Aint' Nothin' like killing a deer with a bow made with your own two hands!

Hawk, speaks of a bow having "Big Medicine"
The late, Great Neil Cost, the most venerated box callmaker to have ever sawed wood;
cut his finger once, while tuning a call and said,"Sweetin' the Wood" as he bled on the call.

"Big Medicine" indeed!

The biggest similarity between bowyers and callmakers is the desire to impart that medicine, or spirit, into the wood we work with our own two hands.

Hawk, I have more "Medicine" planned for the "Hawkeye Spirit"bow.
I know I'll make more bows, but after one deer season hunting with the first bow I made,
 it's hard to imagine hunting with another bow.
We'll see what the future holds.

Pappy, I'll see the guy's on Wed. at the monthly meeting and I'll say "hey", for you.
You mentioned Dave, well Ole' Iron Leg is the guy who helped me finnish my bow just before the archery season.
I said, Dave, if I get a deer, you'll be the first person I call,
I called right at dusk on opening day,
he was just walking in the door,"Let me hang my bow up" he said.
I called him again two weeks later after I got my buck.
THANKS DAVE!!!

Hillbilly, I have a few more pics of the unfinished bow and I'll post them in the bows section.
I plan to use it some during the May turkey season so I probably won't post pics of the finished bow until sometime this summer.

Mike, I live in N.Java, if you live south of Rochester we might be close to each other.
The Hawkeye shoot schedule for this year is:
The 50th annual Alaskan shoot, is this weekend Mar.28-29 it's open to all archers.
the Wild Animal Shoot is Apr. 11-12, an open shoot also.
The "Spring Thaw" Primitive shoot is Apr. 24-26, self bows and arrows only,This is a very small shoot, with camping,a cooking contest, archery and woodsmanship contest,bow making, pot luck dinner and prizes, this shoot is my favorite.
The traditional Shoot is Aug 13-16, a four day traditional archery bash with food, music(We had Chad Slagle last year), bow making, seminars, vendors, camping and contests.
If you've never been to a Hawkeye Bowmen shoot, we have approx.45 acres of wooded hills, we put out between 30-45 targets, depending on the shoot. the kitchen is open for breakfast and lunch for every shoot but the Primitive shoot.
If you can attend a shoot, let me know and perhaps we can shoot together.
Kevin
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 12:56:41 am by Buffalogobbler »

Offline mrkinsey

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 02:12:41 pm »
Thanks for the info Kevin.  What are the costs involved(aside from the obvious food)?
I am fairly new to bow making, and each of my five attempts so far have ended in catastrophic failure, so I would probably go to watch the shoot and possibly trade raw goods (cane shafts mostly) if that is allowed.
However if you would like to get together to shoot arrows, or the s#!t, that would be great too.

-Mike
There is always Hope.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 09:09:53 pm »
Mike,
Wed. the 25th is our next general meeting and I will get some more definite costs for you.
I am not sure what the cost for nonmembers to shoot is,
I think it's something like$12.00 for the open shoots,
there are three courses of about ten targets each and they punch your card for each course.
There is no camping for the open shoots.

The primitive shoot in Apr. is three days,You can pay to shoot for one day or all three days.
There is plenty of room to camp, and I believe it is included with the three day price.
The kitchen is not open for this shoot, there are bathroom and shower facilities.
Saturday there is a big pot luck dinner and awards.Afterward there is a swap meet to trade whatever you want.
There is a self bow making area that runs all weekend, and the guys will help you in any way they can.Bring a bow you are already working on, or I think there will be Hickory staves that you can purchase, that have all of the rough work done and the guys will guide you through the process of finnishing the bow.
I am sure they can answer any question you might have about making a self bow.
Last year there was also a stave splitting demonstration.
I will have to ask about costs for shooting.

The traditional shoot in Aug. is four days, you can buy a one day or four day pass.
Camping for this shoot is usually booked full a year in advance.
The kitchen is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
There is a swap meet one evening also.
There is a bowmaking area and there will be osage staves that have the rough work already done
The cost last year was $130.00-$150.00, The guy's will guide you through finnishing the bow and you will be shooting it before the weekend is over.
I will have to ask about costs for you.
I will try to post this info wed. or thurs.
Kevin

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 10:06:05 pm »
 Welcome Kevin, glad to see you here also. I just got through hunting with some guy's from your site, Alan Sentell, Tim Beach(Olmuge Olgre), and charlie Parrish( Green Swamp Turkey Calls). Alan and Tim are going to Pappy's Classic this year also, they got the primitive bow bug bite.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 11:28:55 pm »
Thanks Mullet,
Them's some fine callmakers you hang out with!
I hope they put you on thier pro staff and gave you some calls to test. ;)
I'd love to go to the Tenn. classic some day it sounds like a blast, but may 1st is opening day of turkey season here in N.Y. :-[

Kevin

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 12:21:16 am »
 Alan brought me one of his turned maple, annodized aluminum calls and I've been using Charlies box calls from day one. I also got a little trade worked out with Alan for his Osage trumpet he was using for a Agatized Coral knife. It was fun to be with Alan when he completed his Grand Slam. I came back to my Jeep after missing mine at 8 yards to find him with a fine Osceola. I heard his bird gobble at least a hundred times in an hour and not come off the roost till 9 AM.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 12:43:25 am »
It sounds like you guy's had a great time,I love to hear them gobble.
Our snow pack is almost all gone,
I'm just starting my turkey scouting this year.
Come May, I'll be chasin' them serious.
Kevin

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 12:54:10 am »
  We are into our third weekend in the South fl. zone. Got four more weeks to go then two more in the rest of the state. Good Luck.
Lakeland, Florida