Author Topic: need opinions on a backing problem  (Read 2994 times)

old foul dude

need opinions on a backing problem
« on: March 23, 2009, 12:49:05 am »
I backed a black locust D bow with titebond III and linen because of excessive worm holes in the back. This is a learning project, the backing caused the bow to reflex, warp, and twist. I've given it plenty of time to dry, but the set stayed. Can a backed bow like this be reshaped in a form? I,ve got a lot of sweat in this and I'm hoping to salvage it. I had previously straightened it out with bacon grease and fire. I'm thinking the glue made it return to it's corkscrew imitation. What do you think?

Offline wakosama

Re: need opinions on a backing problem
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 01:14:16 am »
I had the same problem with the bow taking a set when I glued on the backing because of the glue moisture soaking into the wood.  It straightened out after about a week.   I set it on top of a bookcase in a warm room. 

Don't know about the twisting, but it sounds like the moisture allowed the wood fibers to return to their grown shape.  It may straighten out again after totally dry too.

Good luck.
Think as if your LIFE depends on it... IT DOES...!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 01:24:02 am »
Yes it soaked up moisture from the glue. I've had that happen. It will take about a week to dry back out. You may want to clamp it to a form as it dries to help control the twisting.
   If necessary later you can remove the backing with heat. When it hits 150 deg the glue will release. I'd wait and see if it corrects itself first before removing the backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 12:55:04 pm »
I'm curious about how you glued it. I have never had this issue and I would kind of like to avoid it. Did you size the back with a small amount of glue?  Did you apply glue generously and apply the fabric? Did you apply more glue after the fabric?  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 01:29:02 pm »
One way to avoid it is to spread a small amount of glue along the back and let it dry. Then the wood will not soak up as much, if any of the moisture from the glue.
  Justin, as dry as your climate is I don't doubt you don't have the problem.    ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 08:59:12 pm »
One way to avoid it is to spread a small amount of glue along the back and let it dry.
That is how I always do it with fabric or snake skin backing. 
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

old foul dude

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 09:45:37 pm »
It sounds like I screwed up. I painted the dry wood back with glue, laid on the linen, rolled in on with a glass bottle, then painted more glue over the linen.