Author Topic: Some of My Bows (pics)  (Read 12140 times)

Offline 0209

Some of My Bows (pics)
« on: March 24, 2009, 12:11:49 am »
Hey,
Figured since I'm a new member I'd go ahead and post some of the bows that I have made.  Only three, and I'll try and list them in order. 

My first bow is pretty rough on the tiller, but I'm very happy with it.  It's a birch selfbow (I believe) and it's pulling around 55 lbs at 27 inches.  There aren't really any specs I can provide for this bow as it has some character to it and isn't at all tapered evenly.  Really just went by feel wth this one.  (didn't really know what I was doing).  Anyways, here are the pictures.

The second is one that I have recently completed.  Its a bamboo backed ipe bow that's pulling 35 lbs at 27 inches.  A little light, but my girlfriend loves it and she shoots it all the time.  Anyways, I glued on a riser and wrapped it with some fake leather I found at Wal-Mart.  The specs are as follows: 1 1/4" at the fades keeping that width until the last 15" then it tapers straight to 1/2".  The thickness of the limbs is around 7/16" at the fadeouts and straight tapers to the tips to 3/8"  Here you go.

The third is my most recent bow and my personal favorite.  Its a bamboo backed osage recurve thats pulling what feels like around 55-60 lbs at 27 inches.  This bow gets it and really rockets the arrows.  By far my best and you should be able to see that.  The specs are as follows:  1 1/4" of an inch at the fades keeping that width until the last 12" of the limb.  From there, it tapers from 1 1/4" to around 3/8".  Thickness of the limbs is around 7/8" at the fadeouts and tapers somewhat evenly to 3/8" at the tips.  And here's the picture.

Hopefully you guys (and gals) like the picks and please feel free to critique anything you see from form to tiller to even the color of my room.  It's all welcome.  Enjoy.

Best Regards,
Ian Mittelberg

P.S.-  Also, how do you apply for the BOM contest.  I'd like to throw my osage and boo combo in for the running just to see where it gets.  Thanks.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Rich Saffold

Re: Some of My Bows (pics)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 12:22:16 am »
Ian,
I'd say you are doing quite well for your first three bows, and you really shined on the third one. Plus you got your girlfriend shooting the second one so I'd say "don't stop now" ;D

Room (dorm?) looks great too!, got the Morrison poster, the Ipe board (never seen that before! ;)) , and I presume you are a student at Georgia judging by the color of your room and the banner..

Rich-

Offline 0209

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 12:37:12 am »
Thanks for the comment.  And that board you see in the background is wenge, its a big ole sucker.  Also, not a student at Georgia, still in highschool, graduating this year though.  But I do love their football team.  Yea, my third bow is definetly my best and my new love (but don't tell the g/f that!!).  Working on a quiver for it right now, trying to give it a nice native American look to it.  I'll post pics of it when it's completed.  Anyways, thanks for the reply.
Best Regards
-Ian
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Shooter_G22

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 12:39:09 am »
cool  8)  bows... 

man that a good start,   better than i do... u got some tallent...

good job...   i like all three... 

;)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 12:53:24 am »
Those bows rock brother.. real talent for sure.. thanks for sharing.... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 01:12:14 am »
Each of your bows gets progressively better. If you keep it up you will be making some very fine bows indeed.
Gordon

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 01:49:41 am »
Nice Bows Ian..........and don't worry about the BOM.....you posted the Bow....Don(Oldbow) will find it....and it will be a Contender.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 03:45:01 am »

DETAILS!!! ...we need DETAILS!!!!
For BOM you best post every bow in a seperate thread with pics of profile, braced, fulldraw and DETAILS!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D
very nice, love the recurve!
The birchbow looks scary, would want to see how it bends (profile, braced, fulldraw...)
Welcome to PA, F.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 05:43:05 am »
Welcome and some good looking work,I'm with Med. on the brich bow but if it shoots that is the main thing. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Timo

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 07:55:47 am »
The recurve is nice,but as for tiller,I think that ipe boo is the best job. Stay at, those are nice for your first few.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 08:06:35 am »
Ian, you're showing a lot of talent for so few of bows! As for BOM, like already mentioned it would be best to post the bows separately and have some closeups of tips, handle, brace, unstrung, and full draw.

Look forward to seeing more of your bows in the future! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 08:46:31 am »
Thanks for sharing and welcome to PA. I can't help but notice that your drawing to different lengths, on the birch bow
your drawing to the corner of your mouth and on the 3rd bow your drawing almost to your ear so which one is actually 27"?

Very nice progression and well done.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 01:14:17 pm »
great looking bows Ian. course ive seen one or two of em before. good to see another face from the den over here. keep em coming and keep an eye on the den, heard might have a "den mark 2" opening sometime soon, ill definately go back, but i dont think ill even slow down coming to this place. when you get a chance search "life is good" on this site took me a few hours a day for 3 days to read but is well worth it. keep those bows coming.

Dustin D
(myownslave)
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline comix

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 05:02:57 pm »
great work ian... my favorite is the ipe one, nice curve...

Offline Pennhawk

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 05:29:20 pm »
Nice bows Ian.  WOW!!  That sure is a bright room.