Author Topic: UK NFAS Primitive Archery Class definition.  (Read 7966 times)

Offline markinengland

UK NFAS Primitive Archery Class definition.
« on: March 24, 2009, 06:40:02 am »
In the UK we are having a debate about the wording for the Primitive Archery Class within the National Field Archery Society.
We did have wording we were happy with but a re-write committee changed it giving us the opportunity to change it back!
As I know this is sometimes an issue for Primitive Archery in the US I thought I would post our suggested wording here, also hoping to attract the attention of UK primitive archers. The intention is to write to the NFAS Newsletter shortly with as many UK NFAS Primitive Archers signed up in support to get our rules changed to what we want as soon as possible.

The wording is as follows:

Primitive (PV)
A bow based on a primitive or ancient bow type that has been used by pre-industrial people.
The bow must be constructed of natural materials only, but synthetic glues and finishes may be used.
The bow can be of any draw weight.
Backed bows are permitted as long as the backing is of natural materials.
A wooden bow which fits the NFAS Longbow description may be shot within Primitive if it is selfnocked and is either a self bow or uses a single wooden or natural material backing.
The bow must be free of stabilisers, sights, or other features unless these can be proved to be part of the original ancient or primitive bow design.
No form of arrow rest may be added to the side of the bow. Arrows must be shot off the hand.
The bowstring may be of synthetic or natural material. The string may be of different colours as long as the coloured strands run continuously and evenly throughout the string's length, but the centre serving must be of one colour. One nocking position is permitted (which may be indicated by nocking points both above and below the arrow).
String silencers are permitted but no other knots or attachments (in addition to the string serving) that could be used for sighting or location purposes are allowed.
No additional vibration dampeners are allowed on the handle section or limbs of the bow. Two piece bows using a metal ferrule jointing system at the handle may be used as long as the bow when assembled can be seen to be based on the original.
One anchor point must be maintained throughout the shoot. Any form of hand loose other than three fingers under may be used including Mediterranean, two finger, pinch, thumb ring etc. No mechanical release aids or draw-checks of any kind are permitted.
No deliberate marks can be added to the bow that can be used for aiming.
Arrows shafts must be of wood, bamboo or reed, fletched with natural feather. Nocks must be self nocks or reinforced with natural material. Plastic taper nocks may not be used.
No archer may refer to any memoranda which could in any manner be a means of improving his/her score.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: UK NFAS Primitive Archery Class definition.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 07:43:15 am »
Thought it fit better here,yall are a lot more liberal there than we are in the selfbow/primitive class. :)
      Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 12:08:29 pm »
At some of our shoots we will have not only a primitive class but also an abo(aboriginal) class. The abo class it totally abo where the primitive class is a bit more lenient.
   Were wood backings historically correct? and do backed and laminated bows have to use natural glues or are synthetic glues allowed?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Fundin

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 02:42:01 pm »
it depends on where in history you are, saami.fenno-ugrian bows have been backed for a long time

Offline markinengland

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 03:54:59 pm »
Pappy,
How are you stricter?

Pat B,
We are really only just started out as a class in field archery in the UK. As hunting with bow and arrow is illegal here primitive archeryis basically limited to field. We are small but interest is growing. I got the class established with my friends two years ago. People are having fun making and shooting their own bows. Some want the rules stricter but this may limit people coming into the class. Perhaps as time goes on the ethos will evolve and get more primitive. 
We don't have as goodaccesstotimber asyou do in the USsobacking is sometimes needed even if not historically correct. There is evidence of backed longbows dating back to the Mary Rose and there is evidence of two wood bows being very old indeed. We are looking for a balance that will allow people to make bows based on primitive designs even if we cannot make them in quite the same way. Laminated or backed bows can use synthetic glue. Aside from Longbows most of which are brought from commercial shops/bowyers ours is the only wooden bow class where the majority make their own bows.
Fundin,
I'd love to see one of those old two wooden bows.
Thanks for your interest.
Mark in England

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 08:50:07 pm »
 Congratulations on getting this class going. The one thing I didn't see included pertained to the rules regarding arrows. Why no bone or horn nocks? Your rules are pretty much what 3-D shoots use in Florida when it comes to Primitive. Except cut in shelves and arrow rest are allowed.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 06:01:41 am »
Well really not stricter,just different,we don't allow backed bows ,unless it is something
that don't enhance the performance,like rawhide.We really don't have a primitive class
just selfbow class.What we did and most places I go is to keep it as simple as possible,we do allow glue on nocks and any type of string but must use wood or Cain. Maybe after looking again the right thing to say is we ant as strike. We don't look that close to see if they have marks on the bow
for example.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline markinengland

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 12:51:41 pm »
Mullet,
Bone of horn nocks could come under the reinforced with natural materials heading. The old wording was clearer. I agree that specifically adding natural material nocks would be an improvement.
Pappy,
What percentage of archers at one of your shoots would be shooting wooden bows as opposed to glass? Perhaps you differentiate between self and wooden bows where we are differentiating between wooden bows and modern glass types more?
Trouble with primitive is that it means so many different things to different people.
Mark in England

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 05:35:19 am »
 Mark ,Depending on the shoot,if it is an open shoot ,witch means we have wheels there also we usually
have 8 or 10 all wood bows and 40 or 50 Glass bow guys.At the Classic last year we had 390 shooters and about 75 were selfbows shooters,We had a lot of trouble a few years back with Boo backed bows wanted in the selfbow class,don't have to many of them ,usually just folks that just wanted to push the limit so we took
them out of that class,trouble is there aren't usually enough of the to have a class for them. :)
Here in the states for example ASA rules if you shoot a stick and string [no wheels] you are all in one class.Not sure about IBO but I think the only difference is with the arrow.Clear as mud.That is why we have kind of made our on rules,we aren't a member of any larger organization for that reason.

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline backgardenbowyer

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 06:58:28 am »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for raising this – I too think the new “Primitive Class” rules don’t really work.  I think our basic problem is that it will never be possible to frame a consistent enforceable definition based on the “ethos” of “primitive” bows,  there is such a wealth and variety of  pre-industrial archery traditions.  Is a bow shaped like the Meare Heath artefact but made of hickory, purpleheart and lemonwood with a fast flight string a “primitive bow”?  It is made of natural materials and is “in the style of” but clearly represents a much more modern technology – arguments are bound to continue!

Perhaps the important thing is the purpose of this class – it is to encourage those of us who like to make and shoot our own bows and are interested in primitive styles.  Frankly I don’t really mind what bows are shot in the class the issues start when people get too serious about competition and look for advantages.  Personally I shoot my bows for the pleasure of making and shooting them and I enjoy it more when I can do so with friends.  I don’t really care who gets the medal so long as I go home with my bow in one piece and without too many bits of broken arrow in my quiver.   So the class is about positively encouraging d.i.y bowyers and it should be inclusive of easy to use techniques and easy to obtian  material.

I think we should go for a definition closers to yours, but the difficult area is the first point – what is a bow based on a primitive/ancient/preindustrial type?  It just can not be defined robustly.

I like the idea of including selfnocked bows which could otherwise be English Longbows, providing they are not multiple lamintes.  I also agree that we should include all kinds of backings in natural materials as frankly we don’t have the wood to make self bows here.  (Most of mine are ipe and bamboo because I can get it and if costs £8 per bow!). What about a line which allows backing but no other laminates – i.e. you can’t have three or four laminates running the length of the bow.  I know, I know this excludes sinew/wood/horn laminates and Japanese yumis etc but these can be shot in hunting tackle

The idea of a pure self bow class for real stick bows is very appealing.  I would include in that bows made from two billets as this gives no real advantage and saves valuable wood, and allow nock reinforcements though they are not really necessary.  Maybe alongside an inclusive “natural materials” class such as you are proposing, there could be a purely optional “stick bow” class to be allowed at the organisers discretion.  There are so few of us shooting these self bows that it won’t really support a full category.

Any other thoughts?

Stan
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 07:49:19 pm by backgardenbowyer »