Author Topic: Finishes  (Read 4554 times)

Offline JBL

Finishes
« on: March 24, 2009, 01:39:54 pm »
I am just finishing my first osage bow and I was wondering which finish should I use to (a)keep moisture out and (b)what will bring out the natural beauty of the osage?  I am hoping to let it darken with the sun.

Offline DanaM

Re: Finishes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 01:48:39 pm »
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline JBL

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 01:56:40 pm »
Thanks I did a search earlier and must have typed in the wrong letters.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 02:22:18 pm »
I prefer Tru-Oil for all my bows. It is a gun stock finish and is easy to apply and gives good protection. IMO  I believe that most finishes will not prevent the photo sensitivity of osage which causes it to turn darker with time. I love the character of osage as it ages and prefer for it to darken.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 03:43:54 pm »
T-bird. I'll never go back to anything else.Labor intensive,but very durable.

DCM

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 04:02:38 pm »
Timo are you applying w/ spray equipment?

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 04:11:36 pm »
Good old polyurethane....can't beat it.  ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

gutpile

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 04:19:16 pm »
I use the miniwax spar varethane from a can in a satin finish..apply as can calls for about 4 to 6 coats...when done properly you would swear it was out of a spray gun.that's the same finish I used on my osage sinew back..looks awesome... ;D.gut

Offline Timo

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 05:47:24 pm »
Mims, No.

I mix it straight up,(no thinner) let is set the required time, and brush on with those lil cheapy 1" form brushes.I buy them by the box and dispose of them after every coat. A mix will usually last about 3 maybe 4 days, so I just mix enough for that period. After 2 days it will start to thicken,but still lays down well.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 06:35:13 am »
I like Tru oil applied with my fingers.    I usually put on 9-10 coats.  If you want to darken it a little quicker try some black walnut dye.  Just mix it really thin and it will take some of the edge off that yellow color.  It will darken with time as well.
Traverse City, MI

DCM

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 09:56:27 am »
Timo,

I've been interest in Tbird for a long time.  How's the shelf life?  Is it dead nuts clear, or add some color?  How many coats do you use?

One of the reasons I like poly is it's not so dark as spar, and I like the results w/ wipe on.  But Tbird is a hell for strong, thick finish and if it's feasible and fairly economical for hand application, I'm game to try some.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 10:12:05 am »
hand rubbed tru-oil or massey finish.  both brings out the beauty of osage and is very durable.  i just put a massey finish on a set of cane arrows last night.  the finish was diamond hard this morning and slick as two eels getting it on in a bucket of snot.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

tommy6

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 02:15:13 pm »
Ive been experimenting with Deft lacquer. It seems a bit more abrasion resistant than poly or Tru oil. It seals oily wood well. It can be used with oil finishes if a couple coats of shellac are placed between. Im currently finishing a sinew backed ash bow. Over the sinew I used some oil based gel stain, than 2 coats shellac with some light brown dye mixed in, now Im on my second coat of Deft glossy brush on lacquer. Looks good so far. Will probably do 1 more coat of glossy than finish with a coat of satin. I usually put gun stock wax as a final layer. Will see how it turns out.

Offline Timo

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 08:17:28 pm »
Mims, my first batch lasted me 5 yrs,that would depend on how many bows ya made , but the shelf life is good.

Very clear,no color.

Over sanded wood,2 coats to fill, (sanding between of course) And a third to finish it up. More if ya like but I've found that is enough. I overspray with a satin of a different brand,so there is a bit more finish on them.Over snakes skins I might go as many as 6-7 to get the fill I want. makes skins look melted in. Takes me a week to finish a bow.

Dry time depends on hum. but with dry heated shops,one can recoat in a few hours. Final cure is 7 days.

They will try to sell you some of their thinner,If you are gonna spray then you need it, but for clean up plain old laquer thinner will work.

I just bought some a few weeks ago. The price is up there now, but it will do a lot of bows.Good people to deal with, The lady sent the stuff before she even let the check clear! Not much of that nowadays?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 08:24:38 pm »
I like Tru-oil or Helmsman spar urethane, or urethane over the Tru-oil.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.