Author Topic: Stability/shootability?  (Read 2943 times)

Offline Kegan

Stability/shootability?
« on: March 24, 2009, 05:32:36 pm »
Over the past couple months I've been researching bow building and trying to figure out some of the better design characteristics to build into my bows. A few days ago, however, I realized I was only building in speed and a couple other lesser traits. When I realized this I had to take a double take because I had comletely passed up the one trait I should be concerned with building into my bows and that's accruacy. This, however, yileded only two things- make it long and make it wide.

But what else can I do to build in stability/accuracy into a bow? I've red a couple things about bows that are close, but still a little from centershot shoot best, but that's all. Any ideas?

whitewoodshunter

Re: Stability/shootability?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 06:24:48 pm »
A draw weight that is comfortable to you. Reduce the amount of handshock and limb vibration( narrow tips and the right spine of arrows)And practice, practice,practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 07:19:18 pm »
All I can say brother is the bow you built me is a straight shootin, hard hitting, accurate stick.. and i hope to make some more meat with her this spring.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 08:39:02 pm »
As Per Howard Hill in hunting te hard way. Make them long, no recurves, with slight deflex. Mike do you get to go for spring bears? Hopefully I will get to go hog hunting in Texas sometime this spring.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 09:02:32 pm »
Yep... ;D been scouting for a bear already.. Turkey hunting opens the first of April.. and looking for elk shed antlers too.... Joe is already ahead of me big time... he has found a moose paddlle, a  huge set of elk sheds and a few single antlers...You have to watch out for those old Cherokee warriors.. they know all the best places to go.... :'(  Good luck with your hog hunt, that is one critter I would like to hunt... I killed one once... A huge russian boar, someone raised him from a piglet..then when he got about two hundred pounds they didn't want him anymore.. I shot him twice at close range with cedar arrows from my old self bow ... he died on the steps of the barn loft while trying to kill me... Tough critters they are.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 10:21:56 am »
making a bow longer and wider will add to stability and most important it's forgiveness of poor releases.  but, imo, accuracy comes from a well match set of arrows and the shooter, not the bow itself.  center cut just allows the use of a wider range of spine weights and a little more foregiveness.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 02:02:02 pm »
Thanks everyone :).