Author Topic: UBR 10  (Read 6314 times)

Offline Bear

UBR 10
« on: March 24, 2009, 05:52:09 pm »
I'm about to drop some dough on a nice new Nicholson 49/50 set. Ran across Torges' UBR. Can anyone give me an opinion on this tool? If the UBR is all he bills it as I can certainly see an advantage over the Nicholson set.

I have used the 49/50, so I'm not likely to be persuaded toward something else altogether. But between just these two, what do you think?
Just remember, you can't put the wood back on.

East Tennessee

Offline Timo

Re: UBR 10
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 06:04:03 pm »
Best bang for the buck I think, is the UBR10.

The rough cut side will rip wood like a horseshoe rasp,but cleaner. the smooth cut side is the best I have ever used.With dry wood it never seems to clog.  I still use my 50 for certain things,but the 49's just hang there.

I was hunting with Dean when he was developing this rasp.he worried and stewed about how to make this the best rasp for bowyerin.Went through several designs before settling on this one. The teeth are all hand raised. Very sharp. I'm trying to talk him into making a half round with this cutting type.

Trust me you will like it. :)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 08:54:44 pm »
I very much like my  UBR 10 but i can't compair it to a 49 or 50 since i havn't owned a 49 or 50. i do have one complaint though, when usign the fine side it seems to clog up very easily, and i'm not trying to hog off wood either, just using it lightly on dry wood seems to clog it up to the point where i have to use a file card pretty hard. i try not to use a file card that much as dean suggested to only use a nylon brush. does anyone else have this problem with the UBR 10? thanks, Dan.
45# at 27"

Offline Dano

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 09:47:09 pm »
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 11:47:43 pm by Dano »
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Nevada

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 10:35:02 pm »
Well I never used either of them, I just use a farriers rasp. Never seen a need for anything else, it does what I want it to do.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 11:33:59 pm »
Well I never used either of them, I just use a farriers rasp. Never seen a need for anything else, it does what I want it to do.

Damn ...I have to agree....I cant see spending 65 bucks on a tool ....that a 15 dollar ferriers rasp will do as well as I need.... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 11:44:52 pm »
Horseshoe rasp will do the job needed,I agree. I used one alot before I started buying pattern making rasps, that I feel do the job much easier and better. Kinda like the analogy that  a hatchet will do the same thing that a band saw will. :) 

They all work to accomplish the same thing, just in different ways.  O:)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 11:59:08 pm »
 I've used a 49 and gave it to Hillbilly.  It clogged too easy. I have a big old rasp that really hogs some wood, other then that I use the 12" disc sander in 40 grit.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Shooter_G22

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 12:20:32 am »
wow i have to admit i didnt know what ya'll were talkng about for a min.. i was looking soo cofused.. :-[

and then i pulled out my 3 rivers catalog and took a peek actually i already had it ope to that page on my reload bench... 

i have to agree with el dustructo...  i have never used even a $15.00  rasp...   mine i got from the dollar store paid 1.99 for a package of three rasp with a cheap plastic handle and thats what i use..lol..

if i did upgrade....  id go with a tool i saw on here once that used a bunch of hacksaw blades all toagther in some wierd looking contraption...  that is suposed to work real good...   i saw one at a wood craft store here in north texas called rockafella or rockafish or something like that...   it was around 30 -35 bucks in store price...

i thought about ordering a farrier's rasp from 3R but i figured how much better could it be than the rasp i already have i mean the one i got does just fine for someone that dont really know what he doing...lol

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 12:57:37 am »
Timo.....I am sure that the UBR 10 is a damned good tool...but I am cheap.... ::) and a Ferriers Rasp from Gebo's or Tractor Supply Company is like 15 bucks....and unless I drop it....will last me 10 years!! Shooter....you must be talking about a Shinto Rasp....or a Clone of it....they work pretty good....but a Ferriers Rasp will really Hog Off some excess wood fast....not the best for close up work though....a little Aggressive for that.... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 06:41:02 am »
I love mine,both of them. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 08:04:48 am »
I like a ferrier's, a 49, and a 50. Depends on the job at hand. I haven't used the UBR 10. All are good rasps...
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

DCM

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 09:52:27 am »
I use the 49, 50 and ferrier's rasps all for different things.  Bought a 1/2 round mill bastard recently, and still have 2 or 3 small combo rasps I reach for instinctively.  I haven't tried the UBR rasp, but take the good word I hear to heart.  Long way of saying, one's first rasp might well should be the ferrier's rasp, but at least for some of us there's room in on the bench for some others, at least given sufficient time and budget.  I reckon I need to get busy and order me an UBR, perhaps fetch me up a copy 'o dat movie too.  I hear the music was real good.  LOL

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 08:15:43 pm »
i agree with all the previous posts, if it weren't for a gift card i would never have bought the UBR 10. to tell ya the truth even now the one rasp i use over all others is a 10" nicholson 4-way for 10 bucks or so.
45# at 27"