Author Topic: Hickory heart wood  (Read 3825 times)

Grunt

Hickory heart wood
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:10:58 am »
I have a question for some of you guys. I got ahold of some 4/4 kiln dried hickory. The boards have a lot of heartwood. Is hickory heart wood bow wood?
Grunt

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: Hickory heart wood
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:14:47 am »
Hickory period is bow wood. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 10:10:40 am »
Hickory heartwood is more brittle than the sapwood but it will make a good bow. Maybe not as good as a backing but fine for belly wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline comix

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 11:28:49 am »
had good results with boo as backing

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 01:19:36 pm »
my last bow made is a 90lb lb hickory quartersawn with 1/3 sapwood and 2/3 heartwood tip to tip running through the board. great stuff hickory is indeed  ;D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 04:59:23 pm »
I beg to differ with you Pat. Most of the hickory backed bows I have made the backing strips are made out of edge grain heart wood and I have seen no problems with it. I'm completing one right now that's half heart wood and half sapwood on the backing strip. ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Grunt

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 06:41:13 pm »
Thanks for the replies. Hickory is tough stuff. I will be crafting some linen canvas and hickory strip backed bows out of the heartwood that I have. I have one sweet 5" board that will give me two bows with sapwood for the back and heartwood for the belly, nice straight grain plain sawn.