Author Topic: How much more reflex?  (Read 3170 times)

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
How much more reflex?
« on: March 26, 2009, 12:30:58 am »
This is a hickory stave that I cut a few years ago.

It has 4 1/2" of natural reflex in it.  Overlook the oversized handle.  I roughed it out with a chainsaw. ;D  Right now it is 2 1/2" wide.  I may make a flatbow.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 12:37:39 am by madcrow »

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
Re: How much more reflex?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 01:16:09 am »
Looks like it will work!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 05:20:50 am »
Nice looking stave,if you tiller carefully  and keep it dry you won't loose all of the reflex but
will probably loose most. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

DCM

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:24:51 am »
I don't know, I'll play devil's advocate here.  Starting at 4 1/2" of reflex I'd expect you could retain 1 1/2" of the without too much being outside the statistics.  More than that under ideal conditions.  I feel ok about a project if the bow takes 2" or less of set start to finish.  A lot depends upon the design, crafting, materials, humdity, etc.

That said, I don't find finished, shot in bows w/ more than 1" of net reflex particularly desirable.  You get just a shave more cast w/ more than that, but all that honkin' weight at brace height means your still "steering" the arrow at near full throttle at the bottom of the power stroke.  If one is wonton to do a few of the stupid shooter tricks (speaking of myself here), like droping bow arm, relaxing bow arm, etc., it means yer arra goes just the more in the wrong direction.

That one looks like a nice project.  Be extra cautionous about making draw weight, but don't fall back to the lazy man's approach of just working all the goodie out of the stave during the crafting to accomplish shame.  If you want to dial it down some, use heat before you start rather than crushing wood to change the profile.  Should finish w/ a real humdinger.

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 11:20:00 am »
I will probably lose all of it.  The stave is a 6 footer, and I will cut it down to around 64 inches.  Once I get it floor tillered, I may induce a little more reflex just for giggles.