Author Topic: osage bow crack and hinge - advise please  (Read 3403 times)

Offline Tommy D

osage bow crack and hinge - advise please
« on: March 26, 2009, 04:25:12 am »
Here are some pictures of a take-down osage bow I built - I shot it quite a lot before I sealed it so dont know if this was the root of the problem. Initially I started with a lot of back set as I didnt want any string follow and the bow pulled 68lbs at 27 inches. NTN is 68 inches, about 1 3/4 at the fades.

Then I noticed that the back had started to crack or sort of peel off (photos) I put superglue and sanded and sealed the bow and the cracks seem to have disappeared (photo).

However, I noticed that the braced tiller seemed funny, so I put the bow back on my tillering board and it seems to have developed a huge hinge.

Can anyone advise on what might have happened and what I should do?

My Ideas:

1)Leave it!
2)Remove a bit of wood on lower limb and deal with the lighter bow. I think that it is about 63 now at full draw but not 100% sure about my scales.
3)Reflex limbs using heat gun but do top limb more than bottom.
4)Combination of 2 and 3.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: osage bow crack and hinge - advise please
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 05:13:31 am »
Is that last picture of the crack of the back ? If so looks like you should have went another ring or at least cleaned it up a lot better.I want the back as slick as a baby's behind before I bend them at all.
Also looks like it had a hump right out of the fad where the hinge is,you really have to be careful
when they hump like that. Very easy to get a hinge in them kind of areas.
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 07:15:22 am »
That crack appeared after several hundred shots. Then I put superglue and sanded it and sealed it. I shot the bow today and there was still no sign of the crack reappearing - but to my eye the tiller is now way out and that limb is quite a bit weaker so I dont know what has happened inside.

Thinking about heat tempering that limb to try and bring back the even tiller hut I have never done this so not sure whether its a good idea. Also dont really want to reduce the tiller on the other limb if this one is a gonner in the long run.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 07:26:15 am »
Some more pics ....

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 07:53:51 am »
I'd say that it has a wind check or  some "shake" inside. Going down another ring is Probably what I would try.You have to get down past the bad and into the good.How much weight you'll loose depends on the ring ratio, but it will only get worse if you decide to keep it as is.  It happens.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 01:28:07 pm »
Look at the belly and see if it has any chrysals under the crack. If it does this bow is toast. Something to think about. Take that infernal contraption people call a tillering stick chop it up and burn it. Better still take up gardening and let it realize its true function-a tomato stake.  LOL.  Remove the crack from the edge in and retiller both limbs. It will lighten it up a considerably but you'll have a bow at least. Smooth up that back big time like Pappy said before tillering. BTW a rope and pulley is the way to go. Look at this as a learning experience. OJT. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 04:52:29 am »
George, Thanks for the reply. There are no chrysals on the belly. Here is the bow at full draw - the arrow is 29 inches - without the tillering stick. Maybe this makes it look better.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 02:26:49 pm »
Then you should give it a try, TommyD. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!