Author Topic: Hunting practice shooting videos  (Read 7536 times)

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Hunting practice shooting videos
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:06:53 pm »
I've never being a beliver that shooting groups from your most comfortable stance is very conducive for practicing with hunting in mind.

I mostly practice for form, when I shoot at targets, I like shoot at a few tennis balls hunging from strings, what I like about it, is that you can practice moving targets after you made a hit

I will post a series of videos with the kind of stands I like to practice in when shooting targets.

The equipment in all videos is:

a miss matched bunch of arrows ;D

and for bow, a 68", 93 # ELM elb, that Thimo made for me

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 06:31:53 pm by NOMADIC PIRATE »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Re: Hunting practice
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 09:08:32 pm »

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 09:09:49 pm »

NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Bushman452

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 06:48:40 pm »
It's good to see ya back Manny; haven't heard from ya in a while. :)
Rabbit eating, deer killing barbaric savage of the Commonwealth.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 02:55:31 am »
thats one of my flaws. i can peg a shotgun shell from 2o yards with an osage short bow with hickory backing (new bow, love it. thanx islandpiper, great job on the bow) but i will be shooting from a sitting possition in the woods. gotta practice that some more.
lets just shoot it

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 03:46:44 am »
You can hit a 3/4" X 3" Taget from 20 yards on a constant Basis???? Well remind Me not to Shoot against You at any Tournament
                                              I am  lucky to peg a Pop Can 1 out of 3 shots at 20 yards
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 04:04:01 am »
haha. everyone in my family has a knack for some kind of shooting. my grandpa can hit a squirl at 80 pluss yards with a shotgun. my dad can shoot a rabit in the eye at 50 or so with a pistol, and i can hit a shell at 2o with a bow. kind of a gift i guess. but yall all outhunt me with a bow. i aint killed anything with mine yet. ???
lets just shoot it

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 05:06:40 pm »
recurve, that's excellent shooting, but shooting in the field is a total different cup of tea, if you think you'll be shooting from a sitting position, you should really do most of your practicing from sitting,...an other common mistake I've seen in practicing at targets, is that people tend to shoot at real high targets, the vitals ( unless you go for the big fellas) are quite low, I belive it's conducive to place the target pretty close to the ground
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 06:31:12 pm »
Here's a video of actually shooting at those balls, the quality is extremely poor, the nite before the camara got a bit wet while hunting and never being the same since  :(

It's really hard to see what's happening, so I describe the sequence of the shooting to make it easyer to identify them.

first shot is at the right ball, the ball is slightly swinging in the trades, the hit sets the ball swinging nicely, next shot gets the ball swinging real hard, 3rd shot at the swinging ball stops her dead in her tracks, last shot at the ball in the low left corner, hits so square and hard that buries the ball in the bale  ;D

« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:23:22 pm by NOMADIC PIRATE »
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

Re: Hunting practice shooting videos
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 02:43:11 pm »
LOL, guess not much interest in this  :D :D :D :D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 08:25:39 pm »
LOL great shooting but why did you throw your bow down on the ground when you were done?   ???
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kegan

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 10:07:50 am »
I've been visiting this thread once a week since you posted it and my computer finally elt me watch them again ;D! I don't think it likes me, but I sure do like your practice videos Manny- great shooting :)!

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 02:06:59 pm »
Hey, Manny
I love the tennis balls on a string. A great idea for small targets. I'll have to give that a try. Aim small... miss small.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 02:27:19 pm »
Hey, Manny
I love the tennis balls on a string. A great idea for small targets. I'll have to give that a try. Aim small... miss small.

Just make sure that you have a good backstop....My Cedar Fence isn't enough!!  I had to go out in the Alley and cut one of my Cane Arrows off flush with the Neighbors Fence....when I hit a Tennis Ball on a Cord....and the Arrow ricocheted hit the Fence....went through said Fence....and lodged in the Neighbors 2 X 6 Treated Pine Fence..... that was the last time I shot at a swinging target in My Backyard....just a word of warning....Hang a Arrow Stop Net or a good Tarp loosely behind the Targets....this will stop the Arrows ... :o
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 07:16:30 pm »
but why did you throw your bow down on the ground when you were done?   ???

:D :D :D , ...funny how we ( or at least I ) are so delicate with our bows when we first make them, but after using them in the field for a bit we start to be very hard with them  ;) the wooden bow is a lot more stout than people think,...being thrown in the grass is really no big deal,........plus that was quite a nice sequence of shooting, I was pretty happy there  ;)

...as for arrows glancing of tennis balls,..yes is good to have a backstop quite near, light arrows will change trajectory quite badly, the heavy arrows I use 800 to 900gr hardly get deflected at all ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII