Author Topic: Question about bamboo?  (Read 5267 times)

Offline 0209

Question about bamboo?
« on: March 27, 2009, 12:21:41 am »
Hey,
Hopefully you've all seen my boo backed osage bow in the bows section, if not, check it out and tell me what you think.  But that's besides the point.  My purpose for posting the question is about the bamboo itself.  Shooting it the other day, I noticed a very small crack it the boo right at the handle,  Why it raised there I don't know, and it ran vertical to the bow.  So I cut it out and believe I still left plenty of room for the bow to remain stiff in the handle.  And if that wasn't enough, I sanded the back of the handle perfectly flat and glued a thin strip of ebony over top of everything, including the crack.  So do you guys think it'll hold up?  Anyways, I hope it does and I'll report back when everything is complete and hopefully still shooting.
Best Regards,
-Ian Mittelberg
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Question about bamboo?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 01:35:29 am »
Ian, as long as the handle doesn't bend it should be OK.
  The fibers in bamboo are quite pronounced and the boo will split along those fibers. It doesn't necessarily effect the strength of the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC