Author Topic: Buffalo Drop Bone Handled Neck Knife  (Read 13563 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Buffalo Drop Bone Handled Neck Knife
« on: March 28, 2009, 12:29:00 pm »
I made this little Neck Knife for a certain Person who will be left Nameless for now until He receives this knife for a Generous Gift that He sent Me last Year....I went to the Post Office one day last Fall and there was a big Package there for Me...and I wasn't expecting anything....so when I opened it and found like 2 dozen Tonkin Boo Shafts.....I was a Happy Hunter.....I thought now all I need to do is learn how to Knapp and fletch...and build self nocks....gee what a Pal this Guy is....laying all this Crap on Me!!!!!  >:D

Well here are some stats on the Knife...its only 6 inches long...the Blade is 2 3/4" long...it is made from a Stainlees Steel Pump Base Shim...with Mon el Steel Pins....the cool thing about this little Bugger is that the Handle is from a Buffalo Bone that I acquired at a Buffalo Drop here in the Panhandle on Private Land ....so this Knife has some Good Medicine for a Hunter built right in!! I made the Sheath out of 7-8 ounce Bullhide...I tooled it on both side with a different pattern on each....then wet shaped it to a terribly tight fit...so the knife will not fall out....and then Dyed it and sealed it with Super Sheen....it is hard as rock and should hold it's shape through anything short of soaking it overnight in the sink!!

I hope that the Recipient of this little Gem will be happy to have it....and will ember Me next time He has an abundance of any other Primitive Wares!!! I am hoping to meet Him at the Classic this Spring...and maybe get some good lessons on how to make Boo Arrows that fly worth a Crap....cause mine sure don't!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline woodsman1031

Re: Buffalo Drop Bone Handled Neck Knife
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 12:47:05 pm »
An Awsome knife!!!!, and an even better gesture.

Tommy
Jesus Saves!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 01:05:12 pm »
thats a sweet knife Mike, thats was my first thoughts when i seen this one.
your skill in knife making has excelled a great distance in a short time. ;)

peace,
                                                                            tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 01:42:18 pm »
Thanks Guys.....but I have a lot to learn about Buffing yet....they look pretty good...but the Camera don't lie!!! When I can see in one to shave with another....then they will be good!!!

I'll tell you what....this 100+ year old Bone is something to work with....I don't know how the Pro's do it....but I soaked it in Industrial Strength Cyanoacrylate Glue to fill all the Cracks and try to stabilize the Bone itself....man does that stuff burn your eyes!!!! Even after it has dried and you are sanding it off....wear a Respirator please....between the Bone Dust and the Vapors from the sanded off Glue...it will choke you down fast!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline sailordad

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 02:43:08 pm »
mike do you do that hollow ground bevel on your belt sander or bench grinder?
how do you manage to get it so even side to side?

next time i cut blanks for hunting knives i am cutting an extra just to practice that on
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 03:07:38 pm »
B A utiful
Modern Day Tramp

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 03:14:27 pm »
Dang Mike thats a purty little guy. Pump base shim eh, what thickness was it?
I've given up on trying to make them scratch free, besides it just adds a little character and saves
the owner the trouble of scratching it up ;) ;D Got a few new ones in da works myself :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 04:20:03 pm »
Thanks HT...Dana......Tim I use an 8 inch Grinder with a medium Wheel to remove most of the Metal...then I use a 120 grit Flapper Wheel mounted in a Die Grinder to slightly Hollow Grind the Blades Edge....Dana ...this started out with a 150 thousanths thick (approx. 5/32)Stainless Steel Shim that was 6 X 6 inches
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 08:36:07 pm »
Great little knife.  Maybe he will get some blood on it this fall.  Hopefully not his.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 10:10:27 pm »
Great little knife.  Maybe he will get some blood on it this fall.  Hopefully not his.

Funny You should bring that up!!! I got myself good on that Knife while Buffing the Blade out!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline boo

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 11:08:17 pm »
Yea them buffers are a booger, be careful bro. Mine is 1800 rpm and has scared me more than once. Never been hurt bad ,but could have.   Great knife by the way. You couldnt have ground that clip any better. If i can find the picture ill show you one i did very similar.
Boo

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 11:53:59 pm »
GREAT BLADE brother, as usual... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline uwe

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 04:16:25 pm »
Oh yeaaahhhhh!

Offline Pennhawk

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 12:45:31 am »
Great little knife that handle is beautiful.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 01:13:38 am »
Great little knife that handle is beautiful.

Thanks...that Bone was so delicate...I just hope that Stabilizing it with Cyanoacrylate Glue will keep it together...Thats some old Bone!!
2024...We Will Overcome