Author Topic: Speed ?  (Read 5162 times)

whitewoodshunter

Speed ?
« on: March 29, 2009, 01:18:31 pm »
When I used to shoot a compound( many years ago) the guy at the archery shop that tuned my bow said that the little brass nocking points placed on the string close to the center of the string would add a couple fps  to the bow. These were used for speed only and not for nocking. I was wondering if anyone had heard of this or if it would work on a primitive bow. I'm not really worried about the speed of my bows as they shoot plenty fast, I was just wondering if this was proven to work or not?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Speed ?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 01:32:10 pm »
Any added weight will reduce speed as far as I know.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 01:38:36 pm »
I heard that if weight is added near the nocking point it will add speed. ??? ???

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 02:18:25 pm »
Thats what the Companies that make the Steel nocking loops for Compound Bows say....they state that they will increase the Speed a couple of fps when installed....and all of the Guys I used to shoot 3 D's with would put 2 on each side of their nocking point for extra speed....the weight in the center cause inertia to come into place....throwing the center of the String out at a greater speed....I know that the steel nocking points add a lot more follow through of the Bows string....because if you ain't carefull when you shoot a Bow with one of these installed on the String (looks just like a rope loop but made of steel)....it will come back and bite your Bow Hold Hand....I have had them take gouges out of my Thumb Knuckle...and then I took it off!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 03:26:47 pm »
I see . Thanks so it does add some speed?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 03:57:08 pm »
The only way to tell is to do a test and see. I'd be curious to hear your results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 04:38:09 pm »
If you're talking about those little brass crimp on ones, no, they don't add speed, except if you're shoting quickly. At which point they add LOTS of speed (lots of arrows quickly) :).

Offline Mangeur de lard

• Wildlife biologist and arborist
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 05:34:55 pm »
Hey guys,

Never heard of adding nocking to the center improved arrow speed (which makes sense, anything on the center of the bowstring will reduce arrow speed, be it a heavier arrow, heavier/thicker serving or multiple nocking points) BUT I competed a lot with the compound  and I know for sure that a couple nocking points on the END of the string, about two inches from the pulleys, did add a few fps. I dont think such a fix would improve speed on a selfbow.

cheers
Matthieu
Quebec, Canada

Offline artcher1

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 06:11:15 pm »
I've read about several instances where those brass nocks have come loose and bounced off the bow's limb and taken an eye out.............something to consider. A lighter thread wrap for a string nock would be more beneficial. Developing a good release will do more for added speed than anything else IMO.

ART B

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 06:23:22 pm »
Hmmmm.....nope.  Don't see any reason why the speed would increase.  Probably would reduce the speed, as already mentioned.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 05:02:54 pm »
I'm not a physicist,but I'll have to go along with the" added weight slows the bowstring down theory". God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 10:53:35 pm »
I am a firm beliver that any weight added to string or bow tips can only do one thing. And it is not increase the cast of the arrow.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 12:12:11 am »
I personally don't worry as much about speed as I do accuracy, if the arrow is traveling at 200fps and misses.. it still misses ;D ;D ;) Just my opinion  Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 12:30:19 am »
I know what you mean Hawk! ;) ;)

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 10:27:10 pm »
I know what your talking about,seen them advertised but dont think they ever really took off so to speak,dont see them on compounds at 3Ds.
Now is the good old days