Author Topic: Hackberry or not? If not then what?  (Read 5346 times)

Offline 0209

Hackberry or not? If not then what?
« on: March 29, 2009, 01:38:16 pm »
I just cut some wood and am pretty sure that it's hackberry.  I could be wrong which wouldn't surprise me any but thought that I would come to the experts who know what they are talking about.  Anyways, I look forward to hearing your guys resposes and thanks.
Best Regards
-Ian Mittelberg

Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Hackberry or not? If not then what?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 02:12:27 pm »
lets see the wood....Bark looks like Hackberry
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 02:40:17 pm »
Looks just like the hackberry stave I got awhile ago,made a real fine flatbow.
Now is the good old days

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 03:04:50 pm »
I'd say it was hackberry. Treat it like elm, I believe.   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 0209

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 03:25:21 pm »
Cool,
I actually identified a tree correctly and got what I wanted.  Quite surprising.  Just got thru splitting it into 4 staves, three of which are pretty darn good.  Anyways, I have another question for all of you.  How do you de-bark it?  And secondly, how do you chase a growth ring?  Thanks for all the replies.
Best Regards-
Ian Mittelberg
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 03:46:33 pm »
Depending how far along into spring your area is, you may be able to just peel the bark off. Stick a screw driver under the edge of the bark at one end and see if it will peel off. If not, you will have to remove it with a draw knife. If you are careful enough with the draw knife the wood just under the bark can be your bow back. Harvesting whitewood during the growing season greatly reduces the work of getting the bark off and creating a good back ring.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 03:59:05 pm »
The hackberry I got had a real corky kind of sap wood about 1/4 inch thick,it was easy to remove,but being a little over exuberant I got into the back alittle so I backed it with rawhide,I keep telling myself I got to slow down,hopefully Ill listen soon.
Now is the good old days

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 07:54:33 am »
If it will peal off do it and that is your back,if not I have chased the ring on Hackberry several times and it ant to bad to do.So if the bark don't peal off just chase a ring. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good