Author Topic: New BBI pics  (Read 15346 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: New BBI pics
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2009, 11:54:12 pm »
Whew!  Been working with Ipe a lot lately and want to thank you for giving me some ideas.  Beautifully done.

1’—>1’

Offline Susquehannock

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2009, 09:37:30 am »
Now that's a pretty bow! How long is the built up fade area (to the tips of the osage)? Do you have any worries of the fades wanting to pop off at full draw? Your glue lines look perfect. Congratulations.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2009, 09:45:32 am »
Very nice Steve
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2009, 11:38:39 am »
Thanks again, guys. Susquehannock, (type that three times fast :) ) the whole riser area is about 13" long. No worries about anything popping off, there's about a 15" osage power lam between the bamboo and ipe, also. And the glue lines are perfect, but that was David's doing, not mine. The riser was already glued on the blank when he gave it to me, I just shaped it up the way I wanted it. Only thing I glued onto this one was the tip overlays.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

slathrop

« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2009, 03:29:49 am »
A couple of questions from a student of bow making if you don't mind:

1. What do you use to glue the backing to the bow?  I've been using Titebond III with my maple backed ipe and it seems to not work very well.  They keep breaking and the backing comes right off!

2. I see your latest is a 64 inch nock to nock.  I've been trying to build 60 inch tip to tip (I have short arms!  :) ) and I have trouble getting the right taper from handle to tip.  Been making mine 7/16 inch to just under 1/4 inch.  What kind of taper do you build?

Mahalo Nui Loa!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2009, 02:27:25 pm »
I already answered some of these on the other thread. I think David glued this one up with Urac. Degreasing is important with ipe. I glued the tips on this one with TB3 after acetoning it, and they stuck fine.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.