Author Topic: "WE SHALL REMAIN"  (Read 13496 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
"WE SHALL REMAIN"
« on: March 31, 2009, 12:19:50 am »
Starting on April 13 and running for 5 consecutive weeks, PBS will air this special about Native Americans, their history post Columbus and their culture...the Native view point!
   I just watch a 30 minute preview and it looks promising. Lots of Native input with the appropriate Native languages highlighted.  Early white intervention, The Trail Of Tears, The Modern Wounded Knee and other interesting information about our Native American People.
   The title page has a majestic tepee on the plains with Old Glory attached to one of it's poles, standing straight out in the wind.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: "WE SHALL REMAIN"
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 02:12:17 am »
Thank You Pat.......and hopefully it will be half as good as it seems like it is going to be.....finally a Story told by the People who paid for it with their Lives and way of life.......I have it all bookmarked on my Tivo to be recorded....I think everyone needs to watch this and learn of the Deeds that were done to the Native Cultures .....and hopefully it wont be all whitewashed...and will show how the Whites were the first to try Ethnic Cleansing here in the Americas hundreds of years ago
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 12:43:56 am »
I'm looking forward to viewing the program, although it will have to be when I return to the states from being overseas toward the end of the month. 

I've been considering the topic of "fairness" toward the native tribes, on a first-hand basis, lately.  I have to say that I do not have a "made-up" mind.  It is certain that the policy of the early American government toward tribal culture was, and arguably is, utterly wrong. 

Respectfully, I disagree with such a generic labeling of the use of "whites".  It isn't the word which troubles me but the context in which it is used.  I'll argue, respectfully, that "whites" were not the first to try ethnic cleansing here in "the Americas hundreds of years ago".  I'll wager that if we look at the course of human migration we could find examples that date back considerably further than the European flux into America. 

Perhaps the root issue is how the affect of industrialization or even greed has harmed human 'tribal' culture?  But, hey, let's not argue against capitalism.

Isn't the individual person more important than the 'tribe'?  I thought that was the very root of capitalism...

Parnell 
1’—>1’

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 08:25:49 pm »
Sounds like a great show to watch.. I can't wait...
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 12:10:38 am »
Tomorrow night(Monday), PBS, 9:00pm I believe! 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 01:20:23 am »
I watched this show and in my "white" eyes, I thought it was very well done. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
  The tepee on the cover page with Old Glory flying in the breeze gives me chills! 8)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 02:19:15 am »
SUX.....it aint on Dish Network at all.....I can't watch it............
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 07:32:55 am »
I watched most of it last night(fell asleep) not bad, at least it was something new instead of reruns
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline shamus

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 08:23:09 am »
the wife and I watched it last night.  Looks to be a good series.  . :)

Offline John K

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 10:51:46 am »
I watched it. I thought it was pretty good, will see how the rest of it turns out......I wish they would of should some of the NA shooting there bows, so i could of seen how the tiller looked  :D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 08:33:06 pm »
Tonight "Geronimo" and the Plains Indians.   9:00 pm  PBS

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 08:35:07 pm »
Thanks Pat but somehow I think I will fall asleep before it starts ::) Still in recovery mode from the Classic :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 11:43:12 pm »
My head nodded throughout the show.  ;D  It was another good episode. So far it has been very interesting hearing the other side of the story. Next week...WOUNDED KNEE.  Past and present day.