Author Topic: Edible Mushrooms  (Read 42712 times)

Offline david w.

Edible Mushrooms
« on: April 04, 2009, 01:52:53 pm »
Well its almost morel time and I am PUMPED.  I look foward to this all year.
I am looking to find other edibles.  I won't eat them unless I have someone tell me they are ok or show me them in the woods while I am hunting

I hear puffballs are edible.  I see alot of brown puffball like mushrooms but I heard real pufballs are white.  Once I saw some white puffbals that were almost as big as soccer balls.  It was big enough for a meal.  No joke.  How big can they get?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline JustAim

Re: Edible Mushrooms
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 02:23:29 pm »
Hi, Yes l've heard that puffballs are edible but l have never tried them before so l'm not sure how to perpare them. l think you have to pick them when they're young and the colors a bright white. But as for eating mushrooms that someone says is ok to eat...l would not recommend or l'd have them eat the mushroom first and watch them very closely to see if they are gettin' sick  ;D l would buy a mushroom guide for edibles and non edibles on mushrooms.  :)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:01:57 pm »
Mushrooms ??? There's still2 feet of snow in da woods :o
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 08:49:30 pm »
Finding greys and blacks here right now.The morels normally would be another week away, but we are forecast for some 20 degree weather beginning Sunday night......Tisk, tisk.

As for puffs,I have never eatin them, but those around here that do say that when they first come up is when you want them. Not alot of flavor as to say a portabella, but good just the same. Lots of them here,mostly in the fall.

Dana, how about corals and boulettes, do you guys have them?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 10:08:30 pm »
Still about another couple weeks here until morel time-can't wait. I love 'shrooms. The wild ones I collect and eat regularely are morels, chanterelles, black trumpets, puffballs, beefsteak fungus, sulper shelf/chicken of the woods, Lactarius corrugis, L. indigo, L. volemus, and a few others. As for the puffballs, several kinds are delicious if you get them when they are young and fresh-must be completely white inside. I've seen some giant puffballs the size of basketballs.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 10:13:43 pm »
I would'nt eat the little brown puffballs,
but the big white ones are tasty!
Puffballs are good to eat,
You cam find them in the late summer, early fall, they are not a springtime mushroom.
Slice them about 3/4 of an inch thick, they should be pure white inside,
if it is yellow it's past prime.
You can saute them in butter, or butter and garlic. :P
You can also dip them in an egg wash and bread crumbs and saute them . :P
I found one last year that was almost as big as a soccer ball.
Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 12:04:28 am »
 It rained at the ranch Friday and Saturday morning the mushrooms were popping up. But if you eat these you have to plan your weekend around Chow Time. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 12:36:48 am »
Folks have been finding morals around here for two or three weeks now.  I walked over a few this morning while I was turkey hunting.  It won't get really good for another couple weeks though.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 02:32:44 am »

Eddie, they are talking about food type mushrooms, not the cattle poop, vision quest kind...... ;D ;D ;D
In Montana, after a forest fire, the Morels, pop up all over.  They have scores of people heading out with their buckets.  Never tasted them, but I hear they are quite tasty.  As for puff balls, never ate them either.  It takes about 6-8 hours for the symptoms of a poison mushroom to take effect, but by then most of the damage is done.  I would eat a Morel, but I would be hesitant to eat a puff ball, for fear of gettin a wrong one.  The ones Hillbilly mentioned I have heard of before, and the oyster, and the other ones also.  But I would not know for sure which was which.  I have heard that tree ears are edible.  It is supposed to be what is in the Chinese soups, and dishes. ;)  There is an old Wives tale, that if you stick a silver spoon in a mushroom and it comes out clean it is edible.  However the Deadly nightshade, will not tarnish a silver spoon, and you do not want to taste one of those! ;)  Dang those are some big puff balls!  Just imagine the puffs they would make! 8)

Wayne.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 08:09:05 am »
Dana, how about corals and boulettes, do you guys have them?

I never heard of them Tim, Morels and beefsteak is about all I've heard of. I'm not a shroom hunter, if I run across some morels
I will take them but I don't bother going out specifically looking for em. I did try puffball once it was yucky :P
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 11:13:12 am »
We've had plenty of rain here this spring, and some warm days, but the nights are still cool. Frosted the last two nights. It's usually about the third week of April here for morels. Oh, BTW-don't eat those morels raw. The puffballs are pretty safe, actually-most species are edible except the Schlerodermas (pig-skin puffballs,) and they're thick-skinned and purple-black inside. Any of the puffballs need to be fresh and pure white inside, or they'll be bitter. And don't mistake a puffball for the button stage of an Amanita. I fix them like Buffalogobbler said. Purple-spored puffballs, giant puffballs, and gemmed puffballs are the best ones I've tried. There are also a few of the boletes and Suillus that are good, they usually come out in the fall.

Here's some morels from last spring to get your appetite whetted:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 02:18:13 pm »

Dang! :o  Boy you been pickin yor little pea pickin heart out on those Shrooms! :o  Looks like you need some venison steaks and onions, to go with them! ;)

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 07:49:29 pm »
The puffballs here in South Dakota are all edibles.  Some can get the size of a grapefruit!  I have had them a few times, sliced and panfried in butter.  Steak would be the side dish for these tastey fungi!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 08:50:17 pm »
   You guys are lucky. I wouldn't have a clue which ones to eat in Florida. I have never met anybody down here that picks legal mushrooms. I'm not sure there are non-poisonous ones here. All I ever see are real big and colorfull. Lots of blues, reds, purple and yellow ones. Never saw those in the store.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hickoryswitch

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 10:59:45 pm »
Well between me and the neighbor we found about 50 today. They aint up real good yet but these pretty days and rain have got them sprouting up. Can't wait till tomorrow night. I'm gonna have one heckuva dinner.
Wayne Silverthorn