Author Topic: Edible Mushrooms  (Read 42722 times)

Offline billy

Re: Edible Mushrooms
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 12:56:25 am »
I found my very first Georgia morels this past Saturday.  Went turkey hunting with a friend and when he sat down, I spotted a little grey morel right by his boot....then I spotted another smaller one a few feet away from the first.  Those are the only ones I found.  Brought them home and cooked them immediately...oh man...they were good.  The last one I ate tasted just like a potato chip.....it was AWESOME!!!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Postman

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 12:43:06 pm »
Chicken of the woods and sulphur shelf are reliable tree-growing edibles when young....sulphur shelf are bright orange with a yellow bottom and easy to spot. Oysters are easily identified also. found a ton bowhunting this year...shoulda taken a pic. We have morels but I haven't found any yet....cold, dry spring this year.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2009, 01:10:12 pm »
does anybody know if there are any morels in northern Pa? and if so, where to find em???

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

Offline John K

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2009, 02:58:43 pm »
Phil, I would think PA should have them. Here in Wisconsin i like to look around dead Elm trees and old Apple Orchards.

Good hunting !!
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline david w.

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2009, 06:25:12 pm »
its been really warm around here but it just snowed today, so I will give it another week before I look.  I generally don't look for the grey ones very much, but I am oing to see if I can find any.  Last year was a very good year here.   Found alot!
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 11:22:37 pm »
Hillbilly, that's one Honkin' Morel you got there!
Here in N.Y. thier hard to find, it took me 5 years of searching before I found my first one.
I have one spot that grows 2-8 morels each year and every now and then I find a few in different places.
The Chanterells are much easier to find throught the summer.
Phil I'm sure that morels grow in Pa., but it's probably like N.Y. and thier few and far between.
Here's a pic from last turkey season.
Morels and Ramps!
Fry em' in butter or bacon grease with a backstrap!
Best meal I ever ate!!!

Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 04:48:41 am »
another that tastes similar to morels and grow all over the greater northwest (dont know about everywhere else) are calves brain mushrooms. they get HUGE. mom and step dad get morels maybe 3-4 inches and calf brains 10+ inches long and 4-9 inches wide. almost as good as a morel almost. best of luck.

Dustin D

*edit* i looked up calf brains mushrooms, not what i was thinking. going to have to find a pic of what they pick.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 02:35:23 pm by DustinDees »
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2009, 09:09:50 am »
It snowed here the last two nights with temps in the 20's. May hold the shrooms back another week. Buffalogobbler, I like me some ramps-I have a patch of 'em near the house that are starting to come up now. A town near here has a big ramp festival every spring.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2009, 01:27:55 pm »
I don't know about that Steve. It rained and snowed here all weekend and Monday and Tuesday this week with nightime lows down in the high 20's to low 30's.  I found 55 Sunday, 130 yesterday and 85 today.  All while I was supposedly turkey hunting. :-\  The turkeys wouldn't cooperate. So I just went to picking up "dry land fish" ;D
  Seems to be a pretty good crop this year around here despite the cold weather.  I actually think hot weather shuts them down quicker than does the cold.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2009, 01:35:12 pm »
These are all I kept from what I found today. I gave the landowner the rest.  My wife won't touch 'em. So this is a good mess for me.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline david w.

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 04:20:05 pm »
 :o :o :o  Great find!
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 09:10:58 pm »
Nice haul! I've never found hardly any of the blacks around here for some reason. We have grays and yellows.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 09:22:13 pm »
  Cold, snowy weather, waa, waa,. Always wanted to do that to somebody up north. I'm leaving out this weekend for Northern Manitoba for a week. Realized today I'll be closer to Greenland than Florida. :'(  Do any of you guys know of an edible mushroom to look for down here. Except for that "special" one the rest scare the hell out of me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 10:35:19 pm »
It is always wise to be cautious with wild mushrooms.
I have found many that I was sure were safe to eat,
 but I did not eat them because I had no one more experienced to assure me that they were safe.
Several varities have poisonous and even deadly lookalikes.
The Chanterelle has the Jack-o-lantern, which is deadly, but once you know what to look for the differences are easy to identify.
Things like morels, puffballs and inky caps have no deadly lookalikes that I'm aware of.
 As a rule I stay away from LBM's (little brown mushrooms) and I'll defer to someone more experienced when it comes to white shrooms also (cept' for puffballs) :P
If you think you found a morel or puffball, post a pic, someone will help identify it for you.
Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Timo

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 10:56:45 pm »
Sat at the kitchen table after work with a cup of joe.Watched my wife pick 30 nice greys just outside the yard.Gonna have a fine supper tomorrow night.:)