Author Topic: Edible Mushrooms  (Read 42664 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Edible Mushrooms
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 10:58:34 pm »
There is a moral look alike.  I've seen them in the fall.  At first glance it looks just like a moral, but the top has little fin like gills under it more like some of the other non-edible mushrooms.  I don't know what it's called though.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Timo

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 11:29:06 pm »
"Death caps" maybe?

Offline billy

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2009, 09:29:19 am »
I don't think JAck-O-Lantern mushrooms are deadly...but I know they'll make you sick as hell.  If you think you have a chantrelle but aren't sure, just cuut one of the shrooms and take it into a totally dark room, wait for your eyes to adjust, then flip it over.  The gills of the Jack O Lantern sill glow a faint green color...it's WEIRD!!!  Wish my gills glowed in the dark  :)  :)
Marietta, Georgia

Offline John K

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 10:43:40 am »
Saw filer, i think you'r thinking of the false Moral. The real Moral will be hollow from stem to cap, the false is solid all the way through.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline TRACY

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2009, 11:15:00 am »
Nice finds! I"m still spot checking here in IN with no luck yet. I've found the blacks but nothing like ther greys and yellows. Crappie fillets and shrooms are hard to beat! ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline stickbender

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 12:54:23 pm »

Rats! :( And here I thought I had at least one mushroom, I could identify, without worry!!  Boy, now there is a false Morel!:P

Wayne

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 01:53:19 pm »
Wayne, all you have to do is slice them in two and make sure they're hollow and one piece. The false morels contain the same chemical as rocket fuel. They really don't look all that much alike up close, and like Shannon said, the false morels are usually out later in the year.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline John K

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 01:55:09 pm »
Yep, Just cut em in half and make sure there hollow.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline TRACY

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2009, 02:46:36 pm »
I found a patch one year in Michigan and wondered what that smell was. The stem was "cotton filled" and not hollow. Looked like the real deal but smelled weird.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2009, 04:23:47 pm »
I picked up 45 while I was turkey hunting this morning.  Most of them were starting to dry out so I gave them to the landowner. ::) ;D
  I stopped in on a little thicket on the way home and made a quick run through it and found these.  They're kinda small, but pretty fresh.  I'll have them for supper in a night or two. ;D
  Is there any way to put them up for a while?  RyanO has never tasted them and I would like to bring some to the Classic.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2009, 10:24:37 pm »
Another nice haul, Shannon. You can easily preserve morels by drying them. A food dehydrator or a warm oven with the door cracked will work. You can soak 'em in warm milk or water to reconstitute them. A lot of people like them better dried than fresh. With my bunch of mushroom-gobblers, I never seem to have many leftover to put up, though.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Timo

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2009, 10:29:08 pm »
Dehydrater is how the "Shroom Hoggs"  do it around here. I never tried it.It's like hillbillys house round here...We ate a gallon tonight for supper! ;D

Nice batch!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2009, 10:35:42 pm »
I think I'll try drying some ;)
  I just finished off a plate of about 25 or 30 halves :-[  I'm full as a tick and starting to get sleepy 8) 
  Besides the mushrooms.  I also found 4 old quart bleach jugs and 3 more old brown bottles with thick flat bottoms.  They should make some dandy points. 8)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:27:50 am by Saw Filer »

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2009, 01:59:51 am »
One of my friends prepares them to the batter piont then sets them on non stick pan or wax paper and flash freezes them. After their froze just bag em. He brought some into work one day and they were really good...freaked out when he said they had been in the freezer more than a year....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline stickbender

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2009, 02:06:46 am »

Ok, so you just make sure the whole mushroom is hollow, like the stem, and the top part, or just the top part?

Wayne