Author Topic: Anyone here use a spokeshave?  (Read 16386 times)

Offline bigcountry

Anyone here use a spokeshave?
« on: April 07, 2009, 03:19:58 pm »
I just got a nice tool.  Its a large 56 Kunz Spokeshave.  I thought it would be nice for some hickory staves I have.  I take a draw knife now to get thru the bark which is like steel now, and figured teh spokeshave might be handy for getting down the nice whitewood at a controlled depth.

Also going to try to use it for floor tillering. 

any more good uses for one?
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Anyone here use a spokeshave?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 03:30:43 pm »
The only time I had any luck with a spoke shave was on yew and ERC. For those that are used to using one, a spoke shave works well...just not for me.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 03:37:58 pm »
I have an old stanley 51? that I use from time to time. I like to mix it up from time to time.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline mole

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 03:44:28 pm »
Just make sure you flatten the sole and sharpen the blade before you try using it.  If I lost a tool, I'd probably miss the spokeshave the most.  I just love making those two foot shavings.

John
Northeast Georgia

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 05:07:01 pm »
Howdy MOLE and others,

Hay, I had been using my spokeshaves quite a bit.  But, recently I had to start sharpening it myself, because the service is not currently available to me.

I used the directions from a guide book, 'Tool Sharpening', and I tried to follow a web site...

http://www3.telus.net/BrentBeach/Sharpen/sharpen.html

The instructions, on this (above) site seem a little intimidating at first, but most of it is pretty straight forward.
As prescribed, I made a fancy blade "clamp", out of wood, that allows me to hold the blade at the correct angle (25*) while I hone the the bevel face on emery that's stuck to plate glass...

Anyway, the blade seems really, really sharp, but it doesn't cut hardwood (oak) hardly at all any more - I get a lot of chatter and no good, long shavings. ???

Any ideas on what I should try?

All the best,
Canoe

"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 05:32:03 pm »
I love the spokeshave on most woods, hickory included. Not so much on osage. I have been using one for several years and on hundreds of bows and have not sharpened mine yet. I think it could use a light sharpening but still works well. Steve

AKmud

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 05:36:37 pm »
I use one, but only in the early rough out stages.  You don't want to be anywhere near your draw weight and have it chatter and take a nice chunk out of a limb.  I've noticed that it will work considerably better one direction than the other so I don't feel it is taking material evenly off both limbs. 

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 06:35:40 pm »
I got one that is made for timberframing.  Its pretty big.  Ican't way to try it out. 

I love new tools.
Westminster, MD

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 07:47:45 pm »
My primary tool is a spokeshave, after cutting the bow to shape I use it to bring the limbs down in thickness, to bring the width to the pencil lines, all the way until I have to change to a scraper and file.
I prefer it over a draw knife.
as far as sharpening goes, all I've ever done is to rub on a sharpening stone, no oil until sharp again. The key to a spokeshave is that it's not a planer, don't adjust your blade too far out, thin cuts.
VB

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 08:05:02 pm »
Yup.......have several, and I keep them sharp.  As for digs and gouges, i'd advise setting the blade to take NO shaving, then, tap the back end lightly.....or adjust the screws...till you get a THIN THIN THIN shaving.  Then, maybe just a TINY BIT MORE.   The best shavings are paper thin, not chunky. 

piper

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 08:09:08 pm »
I like a spokeshave for yew, but not osage.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 08:19:47 pm »
Well I'm surprised to hear how many people like these things. I have one and never could get it to work with out tearing and gouging no matter what I do. Is it just me or is mine junk?
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Diligence

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 09:57:51 pm »
Ryano....well, you know the saying, "all good carpenters blame their tools"....lol

I've used one quite a bit for non-bowmaking.  Have always liked it, but getting the depth of cut set properly and working with the grain is really important.  I think that most folks try to take too deep of a bite...and get tear out.

Cheers,
D
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 10:10:56 pm »
I love my spokeshave, i just have the cheap kunz. you can make any spokeshave work a lot better by tuning it:

tuning:
1. flatten blade and sharpen
2. flatten cap iron
3. flatten bed
4. flatten sole
5. grind a "come to a point" bevel on the cap iron so it acts like a true chip breaker.

these are all simple and free tips that can make a cheap spokeshave act like a quality spokeshave.

there are also some things that cost a little money but can make your shave even better:
these include:
1. make a new cap iron out of 1/4" brass or steel.
2. buy a new aftermarket blade such as a Hock.
3. flatten the bed even more by forming it to the blade with a bed of epoxy.
45# at 27"

Offline ballista

• freedom isnt free
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 11:37:01 pm »
 As long as youre using a straight, relativley knot free stave, its probibly the best tool ive ever seen for tapering/ tillering in my opinon. Im almsot finished with a hickory bow (ill post it) and virturally all of the work was done witha spokeshave from the 80's. again, just my two cents. -jimmy
Walk slowly, with a big stick. -Ted Rosevelt.