Author Topic: shooting question  (Read 3381 times)

Offline wvbowhntr

shooting question
« on: April 09, 2009, 08:22:45 pm »
I have shot compound bows for years, but have just gotten into traditional archery in the past 6 or seven months when i started building bows , I love it by the way!! Alright now for my question I can hold a really good group at 15 yards at 20 im still on target but spread out alittle but from 25 out im all over the place.  I was just wondering if any body had any suggestions that might help?  Maybe somthing different to try when im practicing?
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

whitewoodshunter

Re: shooting question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 09:23:03 pm »
Is your arrow spine correct to the bow? That kind of feathers are on your arrows?What is your draw length vs. your actual arrow length. It may be an equipment problem rather than a operator error.

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 10:20:51 pm »
What Whitewoodshunter said,also dont grip the bow tightly,follow thru till the arrow hits the target keep looking at the exact spot you picked till the arrow gets there,if it is comfortable have the elbow of your draw hand pointing straight back from the target.
Now is the good old days

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:58:58 pm »
That sounds pretty normal to me. That's why most of us don't take shots over 15-20 yards at game.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 11:12:03 am »
As Hillbilly said, that's not uncommon. Simply a matter of hard work and practice to get better. If you'd like to learn how to shoot with proper form (which is the msot conducive to long range accuracy and short range precision) I'd encourage you to look into "Shooting the Stickbow" by Tony Camera. It covers just about everything you need to know to shoot well.

In the mean time, I'd say make sure the arrow is aligned underneath your dominant eye and in line with the target. Takes windage out so you just have to shoot for elevation. That and proper follow through alone has pushed my "grouping range" to 30 yards.

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 06:38:23 pm »
Thanks for all the info guys.
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 10:19:44 am »
im the same way man, just gotta practice and keep your hunting range to 20
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 11:41:45 am »
With persistence, practice and concentration you can shoot a simple self bow as well as any other type of bow and at any distance that they will shoot accurately.  It isn't the bow that shoots accurately but the nut behind the string! ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 05:32:24 pm »
With persistence, practice and concentration you can shoot a simple self bow as well as any other type of bow and at any distance that they will shoot accurately.  It isn't the bow that shoots accurately but the nut behind the string! ;D

Actually, the bow's more accurate than the nut behind it ;D! My brother and I freqently amuse ourselves with wing shooting, and 2" targets aren't that hard, and Hill showed that there's not alot you can't do with a wooden (or in his case solid boo laminate) bow ;).