Author Topic: Having trouble with your scraper?  (Read 48262 times)

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Having trouble with your scraper?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2006, 05:07:26 pm »
 Look for metal with a high carbon content-old circular blades are good- use a flat bastard or bastard file to get a straight edge -then follow whats said in this thread about getting a hook-bob

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006, 06:13:54 pm »
  Knives-karge and old machetes work well-just sharpen them to a razor edge-though you wont be able to give them a hook-look around for metal thats about 1/8 " thick or so. Betcha y'all can find something-bob

Tom B

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2006, 07:26:19 pm »
if you need a scraper almost any cutting blade will work at 90 degrees. no not serrated lol.pocket knife etc. with a HOOK you can do more. ihave several scrapers,all with different hooks. some can be laid almost flat to the work to help remove washboard. at angles too.I LOVE SCRAPERS.tom

Tom B

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2006, 07:50:00 pm »
addendum. dont neglect using a scraper at an angle because it helps.don't be scared of flexing the .... out of one either because sanding sucks. :)tom

duffontap

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2006, 07:50:10 pm »
DT--the luthier I was talking about made his own scrapers out of old handsaws (you know, the ones you'd use to cut dimensional lumber with).  A hand saw from a garage sale will provide enough material for quite a few scrapers.  Cut them out with a good hacksaw.  Cut slow so you don't lose the temper. 

Badger--I do roll the burr when I sharpen mine.  I just square the edge with about three passes with a file and then roll the burr with three passes with the steel (sp?) kitchen knife sharpener (while my wife isn't looking).  The luthier who taught me how to sharpen these things insisted that they should be sharpened every 15 minutes or less.  Now I don't get fancy but I sharpen my scraper more often.  It takes me less than a minute to put a fresh edge on a straight scraper--if I can find my tools.... :) 

Roger--Thanks again.  This is a perfect archive thread.  Did you ever read the Torges article in TBM about card scrapers? 

J. D. Duff

Tom B

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2006, 07:52:37 pm »
you betcha! tom

Roger

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2006, 08:10:57 pm »
Thanks guys...

JD, no I didn't see it. I dont subscribe to any magazines...however I think Santy is gettin' me a subscription to PA   ;D
 Is his method different, the man knows wood and tools....

R

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2006, 03:05:58 pm »
 Here are a few scrapers I use. Machete (broken) and resharpened like a razor.Sheffield steel rectacular scraper. Pieces of 3/16" steel in different shapes.Carvers draw knife-razor sharp-good scraper-though dulls quickly. Dick Baugh's Bowscraper-2nd one-Ist one lasted 10 yrs or so-1095 steel/40 deg bevel-really good. And last "Gorgon"- 14"x6" piece of 3/16' steel-sharpen only one side-talk about to the bone-what I really like about it is you can work for a long time without resharpening and rolling-if you move down the edge. Coulndt find piece of obsidian that I use for real fine work-gawd I hope my barefoot dosent find it.-bob

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2006, 03:07:45 pm »
  OOps posted same pic twice-here

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Badger

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2006, 03:26:01 pm »
Roger, your method is the accepted tried and true method, some of us develop some tecniques or shortcuts on our own but yours is basicaly the correct procedure. I keep a little slot pocket on my shaving horse I can drop my scraper into and it will hold it for me to file. I sharpen several times over a few hour period. A good edge that is rolled as you describe can last for weeks. I should have mentioned that. Steve

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2006, 04:49:52 pm »
 Hey Steve-Always wanted a shaving horse-never saw what I liked- do you like it ? Post a photo if you get a chance-I use a tool stand(heavy) and a big ole' swivel vise when I work outside which is most of the time-thx-bob

drtyrrel

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2006, 09:40:43 pm »
You better clean that file up Sparky ! I like to oil my files and scrapers with PAM nonstick spray to keep them from rusting . Also helps keep the files and rasps from plugging up .

duffontap

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2006, 01:00:55 am »
Roger,

Torges' article is TBM was from about 12 years ago.  I think it may be in Hunting the Osage Bow.  I think his method is about the same as yours.  If he heard how I sharpen mine I would probably be the butt of one of his anecdotes about sloppy bowyers!  Take care.

J. D.

Alvin the Terrible

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2006, 08:06:15 am »
Would cutting a 12" miter saw blade up with a torch produce usable scrapers?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2006, 01:09:38 pm »
  ATT -The heat would ruin the temper in the blade and what you made woundt stay sharp.-bob