Author Topic: Having trouble with your scraper?  (Read 48258 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Having trouble with your scraper?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2006, 02:55:58 pm »

I've never been very good at sharpening scrappers. Appreciate the post, will give it a try.

Greg
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Alvin the Terrible

« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2006, 05:49:18 pm »
Thanks Bob.  I'll continue to use it as a frisbee for vacuum cleaner sales people.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2006, 06:03:41 pm »
  Ha-ha-ha-ha- frisbee ! Actually if you want to do the work-heat it up- let it cool down-cut it-heat it to cherry red-dip quickly in oil or water-sometimes water will warp it-put in oven for about 45-1 hr -then sharpen-volia!-bob

Alvin the Terrible

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2006, 06:15:09 pm »
My neighbor across the road has a band saw for steel.  Maybe I'll have him cut it into a couple shapes.  Doable?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2006, 06:27:28 pm »
  Att_you have to keep the heat down so you dont lose the temper. Doable / I think so-just cut very slow and oil the steel or keep wet with water if he dosent mind-makes a mess though. you can do yourself with a good hacksaw-just cut very slow so you dont raise heat -some is ok-alot is not.-bob

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2006, 06:31:58 pm »
 addendum-If his saw for steel is horizontal  -it will have a cooling squirter-then no problem -wiil be easy-bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2006, 08:51:19 pm »
I picked up a set of 7 cabinet scrapers at the Timberline Tool  store  the other day for about $7.  It has all kinds of shapes and a couple that are just 8x4 rectangles.  I still like to finish with my free scraper.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Alvin the Terrible

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2006, 06:39:04 am »
The $7 solution may be the way to go.

Alvin the Terrible

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2006, 06:40:38 am »
BTW, can I use a sawblade like that to make points, or would the steel be too thick?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2006, 05:19:21 pm »
  I have made points from sawblades(circular) and they came out ok-for me they weren't too thick.-bob

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2007, 10:45:47 pm »
I cut an old table saw blade with a cutting disk.  I got lost from there.  Should I sharpen it then flatten it and roll it? After I cut it I made it straight across with a file and could not get a burr.  I think the blade may be too thick.  Any thoughts, should I just break down and spend the 5.00?  I'm cheap!!!

Rich Saffold

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2007, 12:04:28 am »
Chessieboy, I like using scrapers cut from table saw blades, and my simple unorthodox method for getting an edge is to run it through the grinder @90deg. with a medium wheel. Depending on how you use it , and the thickness of the saw blade you can pull off thick shavings or fine hair-thickness ones. Use the opposite side of the curl. Often works best flat on surface to about 45 Deg.

Rich-

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2007, 01:51:46 am »
Thanks alot, read how to do it in Deans book but didnt understand, now i got a good scraper(wide hacksaw blade) and it only took a few minutes
          Thanks again.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2007, 10:43:45 am »
In their new catalog, Grizzly Products offers a 6 piece scraper set for $11.  Also, An old pair of sissors with the rivet removed makes 2 excellant scrapers.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2007, 01:54:01 am »
Pat, I thought I was the only poorboy who done the scisser thing- works pretty good... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....