Author Topic: Turkey vs. longbow  (Read 2816 times)

whitewoodshunter

Turkey vs. longbow
« on: April 11, 2009, 12:30:04 pm »
Ant tips for hunting turkeys on the ground with a longbow?

Offline John K

Re: Turkey vs. longbow
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 02:07:25 pm »
Get a blind ! Not really but it helps. Wait until the Gobbler is fanned out and facing away from you. Then shoot him right up the you know what........Good luck, there hard to get with out a blind !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 11:37:17 pm »
howdy hunter...im doin the same thing next saturday here in pennsylvania.... good cover, no movement, decoys and have a nother caller if possible, keep them turkey's attention on the calls and decoys and not on you. good luck man! ill be happy if some come in close let alone get a shot off or kill one.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 08:36:44 pm »
diddo of what my sonhunter-trapper said-Decoys to try to keep his attention.Know when to move cause there ain,t much opportunity when they are that close.Someone else calling is a big plus.Good luck and post how ya make out.Success or not--I,m always thankful just to be in the woods!!!!!!!!!!Lloyd

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 08:52:06 pm »
Me too!!! The hunt is what is important,loosing an arrow is a bonus!!! ;) ;)

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 09:29:58 pm »
exactly hunter loosing is an arrow would make my heart stop for a second! i cant imagine dropping a turkey...ha that would be stellar

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 10:25:12 pm »
Hey hunter,
So how'd ya do??  Any luck with the turkeys? 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 02:06:53 pm »
im not sure if you meant me billy or whitewoods but my season dont start till saturday
Modern Day Tramp

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 05:37:33 pm »
I would have to say that hunting these merriams is probably easier than your Eastern birds.. less hunters, more birds.. but for me stalking a group of turkeys is a lot like hunting elk.. except you don't have to worry about the wind.. i use the shadows and contours of the land to mask my movements..and move slow, very slow. the last six turkeys i shot were all inside of twenty yards and every one of them saw me at the moment i drew and shot..they can see :o my method is to lie in wait along a trail or creek bottom in the mornings and evenings.. and stalk during the day.. works for me so far.. Calling in the spring works, but for me the calling only lets them know of my exact location ::) so i only do it to locate birds.. then move in.. most stalks take about four hours on average and using the land for cover (rolling hills, brush and timber) has been perfect for closing the deal.. the biggest problem is their uncanny ability to cover miles of land while feeding.... Plus they taste great and give me materials for more feathered death sticks... Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston