Author Topic: Super glue finishes  (Read 3478 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Super glue finishes
« on: April 15, 2009, 11:54:07 am »
I see and read a lot of people are using super glue to finish some of the bow or arrow work.  How about describing how you do it to get the best finish?

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: Super glue finishes
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 07:28:33 pm »
I'm new here and don't have any experience with cyanoacrylate (CA) glues (superglue) on arrows or bows, but another of my hobbies is pen-making and I use CA for a finish on almost all of my wood pens. 

I'd be concerned about the durability of CA as a finish on something that takes such a beating.  CA is not very flexible and I would think it would crack very quickly with the stresses associated with archery. 

I have also seen that CA is less durable in damp/moist situations, causing it to peel. 

Then there is the issue of the speed need to use CA as a finish.  CA set very quickly (3 to 60 seconds depending on type/thickness) and is suited to small items (i.e. pens) but may set before you can get a good layer on a bow or arrow.  Hope this helps.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 07:45:19 pm »
Never tried superglue for a finish other than covering thread wraps on arrows with it. Chris Cade told me that two-ton epoxy mixed with acetone or denatured alchohol makes a bulletproof finish.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 08:52:14 pm »
PLEASE! DON'T TEMPT SOME OF THESE GUYS! I CAN SEE MY FRIENDS PERMANENTLY "AT ONE" WITH THEIR BOWS!!!  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 12:51:16 am »
Art Butner uses super glue finish on some of his arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 01:02:33 am »
PLEASE! DON'T TEMPT SOME OF THESE GUYS! I CAN SEE MY FRIENDS PERMANENTLY "AT ONE" WITH THEIR BOWS!!!  ;D

Tiller... I had a good use for Cyanoacrylate Glue today....I was working on a Special Gift for Pappy....and lets say it snagged in the Buffing Wheel.....and stuck in the Palm of My left Hand....well I was in my Garage right there with my large bottle of Cyanoacrylate Glue....so after the Blade slashed Me....and before it started to Bleed....it was way deep!! I filled it with Glue....and pulled it shut....Presto....Instant Stitches!!! Burns like friggin Hell though.............. >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline artcher1

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 01:26:33 pm »
I've been using the super glue finish for some time now. No problems as far as I can see. Those two arrows I sent you have a super glue finish Pat. How's the finish holding up? Personally, I haven't found a better finish for arrows. No cracking, chipping or peeling. Some sticking though ;D. The finish seems to be very water resistant.

Charles (srtingstretcher) has several cane arrows of mine with the SG finish so I suspect he's after additional info (other than mine).

But for those of you interested here's a short version: Buy the cheap runny glue for this operation. Good stuff sets to quick. I use the four pack from Wally World that cost a buck . I do half the shaft at a time. I just squeeze out (in a spiral fashion) enough to what I think will get the proper coverage. Let that end set up and then do the other end. I put on three coats. Oh, use some cheap paper towels the spread out the glue. Softer towels don't seem to work as well for me. Always keep good ventilation to your back. You will get the hang of the glue's work tiime quick enough ;D. Have fun................and keep the acetone handy!

ART B

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 04:32:16 pm »

Tiller... I had a good use for Cyanoacrylate Glue today....I was working on a Special Gift for Pappy....and lets say it snagged in the Buffing Wheel.....and stuck in the Palm of My left Hand....well I was in my Garage right there with my large bottle of Cyanoacrylate Glue....so after the Blade slashed Me....and before it started to Bleed....it was way deep!! I filled it with Glue....and pulled it shut....Presto....Instant Stitches!!! Burns like friggin Hell though.............. >:D

Remember ET: "OOOOOUUUUUCCCHHHH!" Then come the finger!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 08:39:44 pm »
Art. trust me, it has nothing to do with your finish.....lol.  I know that yours works.  What I was more interested in, and you explaned it pretty good is how you apply it.  I have tried it,,,my way,,,and I have glued everything but my hands to the shafts.  I tried using a piece of feather to spread it out.....only got the feather stuck...lol.  I was reading somewhere, that someone spread it on, the sanded it, then applied it again and so on until they got what they wanted as a finish.  I will give your way ART a try and see if I can get the dang stuff to run down the shaft. 

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 08:52:12 pm »
Dont think I will. I would be one with my work!