Author Topic: Ash backed Yew Warbow  (Read 16950 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Ash backed Yew Warbow
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 10:16:27 am »
The Ash backing is plain sawn.  I used an Ash stave that I had, removed the bark and took 2 1/2 rings from the back for the backing.  That means the back of the bow has a natural rounded look.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

nickf

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 02:43:01 pm »
lovely bow Marc! would love to get my hands on some quality yew soon :) ...and 110# is nice to shoot :D

Nick

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 05:48:13 pm »
Very nice Marc,  I bet she's fast.

Hugh Soar told me there is a historical reference to a Tudor ash backed yew bow,  I assume a sport bow.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

Any chance of getting that reference?

Cheers

Nick

PS Nice bow, I'd be interested to hear how it performs!
Hello Nick,

I'll have to email him.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Offline Cooper

• "I believe in … surprise"
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2009, 05:52:36 am »
A very fine bow … and a elegant way making the backing.
Niels Böttcher - "Cooper" (PA) = "Botjer" (FC+FA)
"If this day wasn't your friend it was your teacher …"

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 06:36:17 pm »
personally I like the nocks, I'm not sure about the statement that "warbows should have side nocks", considering there is only evidense of 1 actual side nock found. ???

'Nock' means notch. The statement is based on the fact that side nock grooves are visible on every MR bowtip. While only one horn [side]nock remains, bowtip discolouration shows that others had horn, or possibly another material, nocks. Also nearly all early mediaeval bows that have been found had side nocks cut in the wood.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 07:14:05 pm »
Very nice one Marc! Beautiful bend - he aught to love it!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 07:19:45 pm »
I have contacted Hugh Soar and he said that it is entirely possible that ash-backed yew existed but did not know of any literary reference. However he did say backed bows were introduced around the late 1500's.

Hope this helps.

Offline outcaste

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2009, 03:38:04 pm »
I have contacted Hugh Soar and he said that it is entirely possible that ash-backed yew existed but did not know of any literary reference. However he did say backed bows were introduced around the late 1500's.

Hope this helps.

Further to this point, page 47 of 'Secrets of the English War Bow' Hugh does discuss the practice of backing Yew bows when good quality Yew was in short supply, especially towards the end of the 16th century. He also points to 'Kelsal' of Manchester being the first to use it to good effect.

Also within the notes and references for this chapter it states that there is an Ash backed Yew bow dated 1650 held by The Royal Company of Archers Edinburgh.

Cheers,
Alistair

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 05:42:31 pm »
personally I like the nocks, I'm not sure about the statement that "warbows should have side nocks", considering there is only evidense of 1 actual side nock found. ???

I would agree that warbows should have sidenocks as I have not seen any evidence of anything else being used
(well actually, I have been shown one painting which shows what looks like a modern nock but it was a while back and I cant get hold of a decent copy of the picture to examine it)

see     www.alanesq.com/sidenock.htm    for all the info I have (any extra info gratefully received)

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 06:19:31 pm »
Hello Alan,
This is the image.  It's in 'The Great Warbow' in more detail.  To me it looks well observed as the proportions are correct.  The detailing is also accurate, things like the arrow being on the 'right' side of the bow and the 'loose'.  The top nock looks very similar to your MR drawing.  However, the image clearly show a loop rather than a noose/knot.  I'm not arguing with your general premise that as far as we know English warbows were side-nocked but I cannot be 100% certain that this was always the case.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 06:26:17 pm by Yeomanbowman »

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 06:34:03 pm »
hi,

thats not the pic I was thinking of - its the one on the back of Richard Wadge's Arrowstorm - but its a good one - cant really see any detail of the actual nock but great detail in the string loop

I understand from at least 2 people that a loop can be used with sidenocks although I have not managed to do it myself yet
so the loop doesnt prove its not a sidenock although it does at least suggest I am wrong to be using a noose if it is?

When I finally get round to making my next bow with better size nocks I will give it another try

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 12:41:03 am »
  spot on ! sweet. love that profile.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 04:06:53 pm »
Alan,
You may want to exercise a little caution with a loop and side-nocks.  I'm not saying it cannot be done but Joe Gibbs related a salutary tale to me about the time he tried it and it pulled the limb to one side and as a result tore it clean off :o

What about double-side nocks and a loop akin to the nocks on a selfbow?  However, to me you would not gain the advantage of the spreading of pressure and, if cut-through to the wood cone, the ability to hold the horn on with a noose/bowyers knot.

Sorry for digressing from Marc's lovely bow! 

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2009, 09:48:30 pm »
      We have more than enough information from Tudor sources to be convinced that their bow strings as well as Viking strings used with self side nocks were tied at the bottom and had a loop at the top. No surprise that the painting clearly shows one.  However the Luttrell Psalter picture of archers at the butts shows what appears to be a double loop string. I have used self and horn side nocks exclusively for thirty five years and am trying to imagine how using a loop with side nocks could cause a limb to tear off. I am also trying to imagine a combat archer trying to replace a bowstring tied at both nocks with bowyers knots. LOL

Cheers,
                                                                                                                  Erik

Offline alanesq

• my webpage
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2009, 03:30:06 am »
I have used a sidenocked 120lb bow with bowyers knot at both ends and it can be done once you figure out the technique - the only problem I found was that as the knot at the top can move so you find that every time you adjust it the nocking point on the bowstring has moved

I too can't see why/how a loop would cause a limb to be pulled sideways?   maybe it was the nock came away from the bow or something?
its a good point though that without a noose the idea of the string holding the nock in place is brought into question.  although when braced I guess there is still going to be a lot of pressure on the string so it may still work?

I have tried using a small loop instead of a noose a couple of times but couldnt get it to work but I have since found out that my nocks are way too big so this may be why
it may also be my poor string making skills?

btw - sorry Marc St Louis for going off subject on your thread - maybe an admin might want to move the sidenocks posts to a new thread?