Author Topic: ARROW MOJO  (Read 5028 times)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
ARROW MOJO
« on: April 15, 2009, 09:43:16 pm »
Hey, brothers of the bow.. after reading the post by Diligence concerning the toughness and durability of our primitive arrows. I got to thinking :o ... lets hear some stories of those arrows that have lasted through hunt after hunt, or the ones that made the flight of a lifetime shot... pics  of the kills, hits, or arrows will be cool 8) Hawk a/ho
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:56:31 pm by hawkbow »
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

Re: ARROW MOJO
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:03:59 am »
I had an arrow that i shot dozens of times at birds in trees and brush and never lost it till just a while ago ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:58:47 am »
shot one of eddie's "dead" hogs one time with a cane arrow.  i cringed when the hog fell over on it, bending it into a half circle.  rolled the hog over and the arrow was unbroked.  i tweaked it back straight and went on to kill a deer and another hog with the arrow.  the last hog must have chewed on it after it was shot because the arrow was cracked, not broken, beyound repair after i found it.  gotta love cane!!!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 10:12:59 am »
Man those cane shafts are tough.. i fanally have some coming . Hawk

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Staver

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 08:00:18 pm »
I just scored on some cane in a friends backyard today!! 8) 8)  They said I can have as much as I want!!  So Hawk, I don't have a story worthy of putting on your post YET! :)  But I hope to some day;D  Joe H

Offline PeteC

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 08:59:04 pm »
Wish I could join these ranks,but the truth is,With every kill on large game,I always get a broken arrow.I do get multiple kills per arrow on small game though. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 11:18:22 pm »
i must need cane. my friends wood dowl shafts snaped when a 3d javalina fell over on it at bps.  :P
lets just shoot it

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 01:36:04 am »
I got interested in primitive archery AFTER hunting season this year.  Hopefully next season I'll have more exciting stories.  The few arrows I've made have been cane and dowel rods.  I twanged the string on my sleeve sending the arrow wide hitting the metal of the boat trailer that was supporting my target.  The deer antler "bunny button" shattered but the cane shaft was fine.  I halfed it with a small metal bird point.  I ended up shooting it into a root.  The sinew broke loose, but the shaft is still good.  I love cane.  It just feels better when you shoot it.  Based entirely on my limited shooting experience.  haha
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 08:14:20 am »
oh yeah last summer i missed a groundhog and hit a huge steel or iron pipe and my ash arrow didnt break and then i missed a squirrel and stuck it in an oak and the arrow remaind alive... i lost that arrow shootin at a rabbit, i lose em more than break usually.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 09:11:39 am »
I've only begun to get weined off of cedar shafts for the last year, but I have  an old Bear 2 blade that I've used every year(since '86) that has passed through a lot of whitetail vitals. I just mount it to a new shaft and sharpen appropriately. I had a couple of good years where I used it two and three times in a season. Here's a pic of the latest harvest with that point.

Tracy

[attachment deleted by admin]
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 10:05:18 am »
Great point mojo, Tracy.  And some fine looking back straps.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 05:58:24 pm »
Killer stories brothers.. Tracy that picture is what it is all about  ;D great mojo bro....keep them coming ...Hawk

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Little John

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 10:00:54 pm »
Yep a lot of mojo here. I don't have any stories of arrows that have taken several animals and survived but have several that have mojo to me. A set of bamboo that I made up while sitting my elk hunting campfire (trade points and hand fletched) then huinted with , a set of bamboosa made up for a special hunt with Pat in 06 by Art Butner, A couple made by stone age tools and methods, all the ones made with home made points, all of my cane arrows, A set of Ben Pearson Hunting arrows of my Father in laws from the fifties, The ones I have flight shot off the side of mountains into the woods in salute to the ones before that have made their journey Oh heck I guess they all have mojo especially the hand made ones.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 10:31:40 pm »
wow. sounds like youd put a voodoo witch docter to shame with all that good magic.  :o
lets just shoot it

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 10:38:23 pm »
Good medicine with those arrows for sure brother, I can relate to the silent whistle if an arrow from some high place in honor of fallen friends, and long ago ghosts of the high land.Hawk

Mike "Hawk" Huston