Author Topic: Alligator gar versus ELB  (Read 13285 times)

Offline Bushman452

Alligator gar versus ELB
« on: April 15, 2009, 11:23:24 pm »
Alligator gar are the biggest and toughest fish you can kill with a bow and arrow. Think about a bowfisherman taking on a 10 foot gator gar with a English longbow he made himself. You do you think will win.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Rabbit eating, deer killing barbaric savage of the Commonwealth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Alligator gar versus ELB
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 01:05:51 am »
That's cool. I'm trying to come up with a primitive arrow and head that would work on one of those big rascals. Curtis Keller bow fishes for them in Texas and I'm trying to figure out a set up that could handle a fish like that. Is there a story that goes along with that pic?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 01:30:17 am »
I don't know who he is, but the poor feller looks worn out.

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 10:27:47 am »
What an awsome fish, I don't think they get that big any more. Probably never get to live that long, altho I have seen them up to 5-6 ft . I do belive that a well placed arrow will kill about any thing even giant fish.    Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 05:33:31 pm »
My word! It can't just be nostalgia of old photos that really gets me excited for a hunt, but modern photos just don't seem to have the same effect. There isn't the same tug on the soul, the draw to the simplistic and forever rustic longbow...

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 07:30:11 pm »
Sorry folks but I have to say it....Looks photo shopped to me!  ;D ;D

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 08:09:16 pm »
Sorry folks but I have to say it....Looks photo shopped to me!  ;D ;D

You could be right....might be hard to hang that Anal Fin so straight down on the Board....but if it is Shopped....they did a good job with the Shadows under the Plank and all
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline PeteC

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 08:33:07 pm »
As far as size is concerned,that is no big stretch.I've seen them myself that big and bigger.When I lived in south Texas,I fished Choke Canyon,which was a newly filled lake on the Frio river,and San Miguel creek.One day while sculling my canoe down a flooded sendera,I heard a commotion I was sure was being caused by a big bull gator.But is was'nt,it was a pair of the 2 biggest gar I've ever laid eyes on.One of the monsters came gliding out of the flooded brush and right under me.I know it was 12 feet long,and I could'nt begin to hazard a guess to it's weight.It was huge,with a girth about the size of an oil drum.As he came under me I jobbed him with my paddle.When he accelerated,he displaced so much water,I was nearly tossed out of the canoe.I went back to the area to try to find them again ,but they were gone by then. We also have huge gar in the Trinity river,some big enough,that if they roll near the boat,it'll nearly give you the willys.We don't have  near as many as there used to be.It's big buisness guiding gator gar hunts. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 12:58:40 am »
Curt Keller sent me a few pieces of skin from a 5" alligator gar. The scales would make excellent bleeder blades for primitive arrows and they covered the pieces of skin so a normal arrow with have a hard time penetrating unless you shot quartering away.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 06:33:13 am »
I've seen this picture before in outdoor magazines, I think its real but the fish appears bigger than it is due to
"perspective" the gentleman is well behind the fish making him look small in relation to the fish. No matter what its a big
honkin gar :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 02:24:31 pm »
Anoyone see Hill's video where he, Ben Pearson, and some others shoot alligator gar?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 11:37:38 pm »
i think a sturgoen would be tuffer toi get on bow gear than that gar would be.
for one you rarly ever see sturgoen close enough to the sirface to hit with a bow.
and if you did stick one it would probably take several people to drag it in.they are like trying to pull in a boulder.
the just sit on the bottom and dont moveunless they want to.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 08:46:47 am »
  We bowfish them quite a bit during the summer, but they don't get that big. We also have the smaller spotted gar. As tough as they look, it's not hard to put an arrow through them, and they are quite tasty if you like lobster.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 09:14:41 am »
I've seen some six footers below PK dam in the Brazos. shot a four footer with bow but hit him behind the dorsal - that was a purty good fight :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Bushman452

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 11:25:05 pm »
That's cool. I'm trying to come up with a primitive arrow and head that would work on one of those big rascals. Curtis Keller bow fishes for them in Texas and I'm trying to figure out a set up that could handle a fish like that. Is there a story that goes along with that pic?

Yeah this fish was taken in Ohio and gator gar became extinct there I think.
Rabbit eating, deer killing barbaric savage of the Commonwealth.