Author Topic: Alligator gar versus ELB  (Read 13286 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Alligator gar versus ELB
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 11:58:47 pm »
Eddie, I'd say what you have down there is the long nosed gar. They rarely get much over 5' long.  The spotted gar is a lot smaller.   The gar in that picture is a true alligator gar, and an extremely old one at that!
 The biggest long nose I've killed is 50". I shot a 49"er the same day and I bet the 50"er was half again as heavy.  One you start getting over 4' they start gaining girth instead of length.
 I'm not positive, but I think about the only place you can find gator gar anymore is in Texas.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 08:35:47 pm »
  Yep, Shannon, you are right. Got them mixed up.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Little John

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 10:32:15 pm »
I just saw a special on cable tv, One old Texan had one mounted almost the size of this picture and swore that he had seenone go under his boat much bigger. This picture was shown on the special.  Just goes to show ya everything is bigger in Texas.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 02:15:15 am »
                                                                 Especially the B.S. Stories!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Little John

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 02:26:07 am »
Reminds me of the guys who were noodling catfish at P.K. with scuba gear. Every time they tried to get the big one out of an old car the fish rolled up the window.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 02:36:55 am »
                                                  ;D ;D ;D ;D               :o :o :o :o                    8) 8) 8) 8)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Bushman452

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 10:21:16 pm »
Eddie, I'd say what you have down there is the long nosed gar. They rarely get much over 5' long.  The spotted gar is a lot smaller.   The gar in that picture is a true alligator gar, and an extremely old one at that!
 The biggest long nose I've killed is 50". I shot a 49"er the same day and I bet the 50"er was half again as heavy.  One you start getting over 4' they start gaining girth instead of length.
 I'm not positive, but I think about the only place you can find gator gar anymore is in Texas.
Actually Saw they are also hunted in Louisiana right in the middle of Cajun Country. You can be surprised of what you can might find in the bayous.
Rabbit eating, deer killing barbaric savage of the Commonwealth.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 08:25:27 pm »
We have some sort of gar here in Kansas and they are bait stealers I think they are spotted gar. I remember when we were growing up we were fishing the face of the dam at Fall River and my dad said he saw one with what appeared to be a 10lb catfish in his mouth sideways. I always thought he was stretching it some but maybe not. I also remember someone posting about the taste of gar being similar to lobster so I think this siummer I will have to find out.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 12:17:06 pm »
they still get pretty big, and if your bow had enough punch and you had enough boat under you and enough back to hold on tho the thing and a good enough point and a hard enough head, i think you could do it pretty easly.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 04:20:00 pm »
'specially that"Hard head"  ;D  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington