Author Topic: thin flakes  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Blacktail

thin flakes
« on: April 18, 2009, 01:47:04 am »
i was wondering how many of you use thin flakes for chipping...i have some from making big blades....but some are so thin that they all ready have a 10-1 ratio...so, do any of you use them or do you throw them out...john

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: thin flakes
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 02:08:21 am »
If they are flat enough make arrow points out of them. If not, into the pit of debutage with them.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Timo

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 08:31:32 am »
If they are long curved flakes,I use them for wind chimes,Makes a nice lil tinkle sound. I keep a few around my work bench for cutting leather and impressing those who are skeptical as to the sharpness of stone.:)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 09:01:30 am »
I kick em to the side if their that thin and have any size to em. 10-1 would be mighty tough to run flakes across, myabe one of these days. That's a good idea Timo, I'm not much into wind chimes but may work a couple up just cause ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline billy

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 09:40:27 am »
Blacktail,

Yeah, I use thin flakes and make arrow points out of them.  But if they are large and VERY thin, then they'll usually break several times until they become a more manageable size.  Large, very thin flakes are really difficult to do anything with because they break so easily.

But if you go slowly and carefully, you'd be surprised at what you can make out of those little flakes.  I've made some small arrow points out of very thin obsidian flakes and they are almost covered in flake scars, just like some of the original ones I've seen from your area.  But then again, I almost never make anything big....I just love those little exquisite and finely made arrow points more than anything else so that's what I make the most of. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 10:12:36 am »
They are nice to cut primitive fletches to shape, then do final touch up with a glowing hot stick from the fire.   
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 10:42:08 am »
so ,i guess i will give it a try on some....guees it depends on how wide and how thick..thanks john

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 04:36:24 pm »
John:  When I first started I used any thin flake that I found while hunting arrowheads.  We had lots chipping grounds so that was the material available.  Some of the jaspers were still shinny, but hard.  Did not know about heat treating and how a spall will go back to its original hardness over time.  The thin ones were manageable so they become my hunting points.  To this day if you look in my display case you will see a lot of very thin, very small points.  I love them.  They are fun to make!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight