Author Topic: First turkey with bow!!  (Read 17378 times)

Offline lowell

First turkey with bow!!
« on: April 19, 2009, 12:11:00 am »
Got this morning!! :)

Had turkeys in woods maybe 150 yards away and set up blind in corn field where they always seem to come out and strut sooner or later.  By 6:30 I saw a hen and 2 toms come out of woods.  Had A hen decoy and a Pretty Boy tom decoy with a real jake tail .. (have used a full/mature tail other years and it seemed to make some birds stay away!!)

My son was hunting at other end of woods and heard the turkeys gobbling and had to take a peak so he belly crawled to corn field edge to take a look.  He spooked the turkeys and they went running from him.  And past me but the one tom got a look at the decoy set-up and came to me like it was on a tight rope!!

The tom came chest to chest with the decoy which was set up about 5 yards from my blind.  Would have been fun to watch more but took my shot.  Hit turkey and had broadhead go through but arrow stayed in bird.  My son and I looked a while but saw no bird or blood so went home for a little.

I came back with my buddy Charlie (aka.. Jack Russell pup)  We found a blood trail and took it maybe 80 yards and lost it.  Just started looking on this thick hill that was full of muti-flora rose.  Saw the bird and told Charlie we got him.... then the bird raised his head, looked at me and flew/ran over the hill out of sight. (Charlie about turned himself inside out trying to get away from that flying/flopping monster!!LOL) ;D   Looked where I thought he may have gone and saw some feathers that led aout across a bean field.  Went to next little timber and found him in a deep wash out from some heavy rains.  Shot at him and just nicked his neck... the next shot put him down for good. 

What a great day.  Thanks for letting me re-live it one more time by telling my story here!! ;)

And thanks for all the help from this site that made me feel this was possible!! :)

Oh ya... It's a short osage bow 44#@26" backed with rawhide shooting rose shoot arrows tipped with Ace 2 blade broadheads.  Bow and arrows that I had made!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 12:15:07 am by lowell »
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Re: First turkey with bow!!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 12:18:43 am »
GREAT JOB BROTHER, sounds like you had a real adventure.. sometimes the followup is the most rewarding part of the hunting experience. glad it all worked out for you and your first turkey harvest.. great picture and one fine looking bow... Hawk a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 12:38:45 am »
Congratulations Lowell. A true adventure and excellent follow through on your part. You earned your first bird!!! 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bent Rig

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 09:32:43 am »
That's awesome - what an achievement ! Congrats !!  ;)
Syracuse , NY------------"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
                                                                                     - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 11:21:18 am »
Congrats, it's a great feeling!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 12:44:56 pm »
CONGRATULATIONS! 
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 01:04:59 pm »
Great job Lowell! Congradulation's.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 01:49:23 pm »
Sounds like a great hunt Lowell.Good story.Glad you found him.Perfect day. Congrats. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline cracker

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 02:07:12 pm »
Good going nice looking bird.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 04:47:04 pm »
Sweeet  ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 07:07:09 pm »
Well done sir! great follow up you did there. i tried this weekend but i couldnt manage to get  a shot off.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 07:15:54 pm »
Congratulations, Lowell-nice bird and a good story. Not many people out there that can say they've killed a turkey with a primitive bow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 10:04:52 pm »
my dad and I think all those jakes we called in might have been scared of the decoys.We had a hen and jake decoy with maybe a 5inch beard but believe it or not all 8 jakes had barely visible beards.some of em kinda stared at the decoys but wouldn,t go to em.It was sure entertaining especially for my dad since the birds seemed to stay in front of him.congrats
Modern Day Tramp

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 10:13:29 pm »
  CONGRATULATIONS, Lowell. If that feeling was anything like when I got mine you can't retell that story enough.Great bird.

Huntertrapper, The Jakes were probally afraid to come in if that decoy had a beard that long.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 09:14:58 am »
Congrats Lowell,mighty fine story and bird. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good