Author Topic: stone point trauma pics...  (Read 34241 times)

Offline selfbow

Re: stone point trauma pics...
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2009, 02:04:52 pm »
I agree with Chris, shot placement is key to consistant game recovery. But another factor is plane 'ol luck... good or bad. A few years back, i shoot a deer with a compound with all the gizmo's and the latest whizzbang broadhead. Now to my minds eye, I made a perfect shoat. Right behind the shoulder. I never found even a single drop of blood, and never found the deer. A couple years back I shot a doe with a selfbow, cane arrow, and stone point. I hit her in front of the shoulder, and the arrow latterly bounced off. The deer jumped at the shot, trotted off a little ways and started walking again. Now there was only a little blood on the point, and none on the ground, but that deer walked about 50 yards and simply lay ed down and died.
 Does a stone point work? A well designed and sharp point works very well.
When I first started using selfbows, they were in the 75-80 lb range. In the last few years, I have started useing bows around 55 lbs, taking special care with matching arrow spine to the bow I'm hunting with. I actually get better penetration now than with the heaver bows.
The primitive arrow has been the hardest aspect of my hunting get up since I started useing primitive gear. A stone point not only needs to be sharp, but the design and how it is halfted is crucial as well. the arrow shaft must be matched perfectly with the bow so it leaves the bow and recovers from the paradox as quickly as possable. We've all seen arrows that fly nock left or right as it leave our bows. If a deer is close, as is usually the case when hunting with stone points, and the arrow is still not recovered fully; then penetration will suffer.

Point after passthrough on whitetail with 75 lb bow

Point after passthrough with 55 lb selfbow

Offline selfbow

« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2009, 06:26:01 pm »
Here are a few ready for the hunt

Pitcken chert, Mahogany and black obsidian, and Georgetown

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2009, 10:50:18 pm »
david, those points look great.  i killed a hog with one of your obsidian points last summer.  busted through a rib on the way out and only suffered a very small chip at the tip.  keep up the good work!
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Dax

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2009, 10:46:37 pm »
Ducked out of this one for awhile...this has been some great stuff.  I may be tempted to try getting one with a stone myself....who knows??  But before Twistedlimbs gets a chance.....I know if I have to depend on myself to make one, I may as well just stand in a tree with a thirty pound rock and hope I can drop it down on one's head, lol!!

Offline billy

« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2009, 07:18:02 pm »
Dax there are plenty of guys on here who can knap points....get in touch with them and I'm sure someone would make you a set to hunt with.  Might have to trade something for them of course.
Marietta, Georgia

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2009, 07:39:57 pm »
 I've already sent him a PM, Billy. :) I'd like to see him get one.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2009, 10:26:33 am »
What is the biggest toughest game any of you have taken with a stone point??  My biggest was a 400+lbs boarhog with a stone point Billy made and a 59# self bow. The point stoped in the off side shoulder.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2009, 10:15:05 pm »
I knapped the heads that Ryano used an I believe that Hillbilly is correct in assuming that the deltas needed to be removed an a finer serrated edge put on. At the time I had only been Knapping for 2 1/2 yrs an know that just in the last 6 months my points have gotten thinner an a lot sharper thanks to guys like Hillbilly an Jesse an any others that I may have forgotten.  This has been a very informative thread, Again thanks to every one for some great input an info. Just sorry that my points did'nt work out for Ryan.  Thanks Bob

Offline selfbow

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2009, 10:58:31 pm »
Here are a few better pics

Obsidian point used in pass through on whitetail

First all primitive kill, selfbow, sinew string, cane arrow

Point used on 8 point this last Fall, Quartering away, angled into the vitals

Spine shot on a doe, deer went straight down, but did require a follow up stone pointed arrow

Offline billy

« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2009, 11:01:37 am »
Selfbow those are awesome, especially the one with the stone point buried in the backbone.  Do you think you could post a few more pics of the backbone at different angles, so we can see the penetration depth of that point???  Thanks!!!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline selfbow

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2009, 12:39:44 am »
Billy, the point was a corner notched style made from raw Texas flint.

In this pic you can see the tip punched through the other side of the spinal collum. The spinal cord was completely severed when i took this piece of vertebrae out.

Side view. The point held together fairly well. The tip did break off a little., and the shaft broke off breaking the point between the notches.

Offline billy

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2009, 01:24:42 am »
Selfbow,

Did that point sever the spinal cord?  It looks like it did.....
Marietta, Georgia

Offline selfbow

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2009, 10:09:32 am »
The spinal cord was cut cleanly into.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2009, 10:30:17 am »
That is extremely cool, thanks for showing us.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline billy

« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2009, 10:55:02 am »
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Marietta, Georgia