Author Topic: legal size  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Bone pile

legal size
« on: April 24, 2009, 03:23:05 pm »
I have made a few arrows ,mostly for targets and to gain knowedge on how to build a good one.my question is this,I know there are dementions for a legal hunting arrow.I live in Fla. Here are a few heads I've knapped out,just want to have an measurement goal before I make too many

thanks
Roger
Venice Florida

Offline DanaM

Re: legal size
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 03:39:08 pm »
Every state varies as to their rules or if they even allow stone points. Those look good to me send em up and I will see how they work ;) :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 04:07:16 pm »
Most state regs I've read, if they allow stone points, a minimum width of 7/8" and no barbed points. The point on the left would be considered a barbed point. If you bring the back corners straight across the back, like the others,  they will be OK.  I'm not sure what FLA law says.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 04:12:18 pm »
No min. requirements for flint,chert, all metal, or obsidian projectiles in Indiana. Min. draw weight of 35lbs.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline african man

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 05:26:35 pm »
Some real nice points you've made there ....  :o
definitely not the right size so you'll have to send them to me ....  ::) they look about right for here.

Chris ...  ;)
we all die but we all don't live

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 05:28:17 pm »
I seached the FL F&G site and state regs and did not find an answer, though there was an indicatiion that sub-areas have their own reg.  But their site has section for posting questions.  I suggest you ask there:  http://askit.myfwc.com/cgi-bin/myfwc.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

There was also in PA mag, vol 15 and 16, a series on all the state hunting regs, so I'm sure that the answer, or lack of one, was addressed last year or so.  If some does not look that up before me, I'll try this weekend.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 05:55:09 pm »
  Roger it is 7/8" and no restrictions on Barb's. I've had a lot of Game Officers look at my points and thought they were cool. They never bothered to measure them. The Central Zone office is in Lakeland, I took some arrows out there and asked them.

The rule says 7/8" wide points, regardless what they are made from. Wood is legal. Florida makes no distintion about  material.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 06:03:35 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 10:15:13 am »
As small as the deer are in (my home state) FL 7/8" and a 40# bow is lethal..Big game in FL is wild cattle.. :P

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 03:03:37 pm »
Thanks for the imput,Looks like one of these evenings I'll be in arrow mode.
Roger
Venice Florida

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 03:25:11 pm »
  How's that bow coming along?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 03:21:57 pm »
Well the bow is another story,the osage is in holding till I can straighten it up a bit.I took the mullberry and spilt it and made a small one that will be for my grandson.I made a few small arrows for it and shot them a few times,not bad for my first one.I have alot to learn that's for sure.thanks for askin'one of these days I'll be up in your neck of the woods,maybe I'll give ya a shout
Roger
Venice Florida

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 05:56:58 pm »
  Looking forward to seeing you. Or I can head south, I work for mullet. ;D
Lakeland, Florida