Author Topic: Search for the Soapstone Quarry, Part II  (Read 18313 times)

Offline Dane

Search for the Soapstone Quarry, Part II
« on: April 25, 2009, 07:09:25 am »
Some of you may recall my first failed attempt to locate two long-abandoned soapstone quarries, the Goodrich and the Smith Quarries, in the vicinity of Cambridgeport and Grafton, Vermont. This was toward the end of last summer, and on this just-past Easter Sunday, I again found the time to try and find these elusive places of forgotten commerce in the tangled, hardwood covered slopes of Bare Mountain.

Grafton, noteworthy today only for a very fine type of cheese called Grafton Cheddar, was quickly falling into ruin in the 1970s, was purchased by the Windham Foundation and rehabilitated to it’s current appearance as a perfect Currier and Ives town of sturdy frame houses and tidy yards surrounded by picket fences. Hard times have apparently come here as in most of the United States, and those beautiful houses seem to be mostly for sale now. A few famous visitors have come through here, but except for the Cheddar production and one famous Budweiser commercial filmed here in the 1980s, the town slumbers beyond the range of most tourists.

Vermont is a peculiar place. One of the least populous states in New England as well as the entire United States, Vermont today has less people living in it than the mid-19th century, when whole towns suddenly became ghosts as farmers burned down their houses and barns, collected the treasured hand-wrought nails, and headed toward the richer soil of Ohio and other parts west. A very rural state that only gained universal electrical service after the Second World War, I find the place wonderfully remote and strange. Once you leave I-91, the only major highway that traverses the state and into Canada, you find yourself in the kind of New England that you will never find promoted by the Chamber of Commerce.

Although the fastest route to reach Grafton is from Bellows Falls, then west through Saxton’s River, I prefer to take a more indirect route, getting off at Exit 4 at the village of Putney, passing the haunted Putney Inn , and then via a back road through Westminster Parish, into Saxtons River, and finally, Route 121 into the desolate post village of Cambridgeport. You skirt the shallow Saxtons River as Route 121 winds through the hills, a river named after, perhaps, a surveyor of that name who may or may not have drowned or ever fallen in the river in the late 18the century. One will notice that the old farmhouse chimneys are often made from stacked cinderblocks, a building practice that strikes me as not particularly safe, but in the ten years since I used to come through here every day on my work commute, the houses are still all standing. More seem empty now though, and the guy who used to sell rusty old woodstoves by the side of the road doesn’t seem to display his wares anymore, perhaps dead, perhaps gone, perhaps something else.

Posted here are three Google Earth screenshots. The first is an overview of the area, the second is Cambridgeport itself, and the third is Bare Mountain. Somewhere under those thick hardwood forests are the quarries.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 07:34:38 am by Dane »
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Dane

Re: Search for the Soapstone Quarry, Part II
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 07:12:59 am »
The early 20th century horror writer Lovecraft , who lived in a cottage in Brattleboro for one summer, featured parts of Southern Vermont in one of his best Cuthulu Mythos stores, “The Whisperer in Darkness,” a story set in the small towns in this area, including of course the odd and interesting town of Brattleboro. Probably the most famous, if barely remembered resident of Brattleboro was Rudyard Kipling, the great English poet and novelist who wrote, believe it or not, The Jungle Book right here in Vermont. As I walk the streets of the town, I can’t help but imagine a him in my mind’s eye in jodhpurs, a pith helmet, and a red and black checked hunting coat walking the same sidewalks of long ago. Up until a year or two ago, Brattleboro was a bastion of public nudity, an activity banned finally by the town aldermen (and that can be a good or bad thing, depending on who happens to be naked in public), and is home of a great outdoor clothing store, a decent bbq shack, some good bookstores and art galleries, a peculiar and cozy little riverside marina, and of course the Brattleboro Retreat, an institution that would once have been called an insane asylum that features a majestic bell tower built partially with inmate / patient labor, and purportedly haunted by one of the unlucky souls who fell screaming to his death off a rickety scaffolding.

I don’t know if Lovecraft ever visited the Retreat, but thanks to his visit to this area, Whisperer perhaps may be the only piece of fiction in American letters that mentions my own town of Greenfield, Massachusetts.

Here are the opening paragraphs from another Lovecraft tale, “The Dunwich Horror.” True, the squalid, fictional settlement of Dunwich is set in a different part of New England, but the feeling it evokes matches how I feel driving though this part of Vermont.

“When a traveller in north central Massachusetts takes the wrong fork at the junction of Aylesbury pike just beyond Dean's Corners he comes upon a lonely and curious country.

“The ground gets higher, and the brier-bordered stone walls press closer and closer against the ruts of the dusty, curving road. The trees of the frequent forest belts seem too large, and the wild weeds, brambles and grasses attain a luxuriance not often found in settled regions. At the same time the planted fields appear singularly few and barren; while the sparsely scattered houses wear a surprisingly uniform aspect of age, squalor, and dilapidation.

“Without knowing why, one hesitates to ask directions from the gnarled solitary figures spied now and then on crumbling doorsteps or on the sloping, rock-strewn meadows. Those figures are so silent and furtive that one feels somehow confronted by forbidden things, with which it would be better to have nothing to do. When a rise in the road brings the mountains in view above the deep woods, the feeling of strange uneasiness is increased. The summits are too rounded and symmetrical to give a sense of comfort and naturalness, and sometimes the sky silhouettes with especial clearness the queer circles of tall stone pillars with which most of them are crowned.

“Gorges and ravines of problematical depth intersect the way, and the crude wooden bridges always seem of dubious safety. When the road dips again there are stretches of marshland that one instinctively dislikes, and indeed almost fears at evening when unseen whippoorwills chatter and the fireflies come out in abnormal profusion to dance to the raucous, creepily insistent rhythms of stridently piping bull-frogs.”

It was a cold morning when my friend Trevor and I arrived in the village, and although it promised to be a partially sunny day with no rain, I was thankful for the wool coat and cap I was wearing. After Trevor and I took some photos of the ruined mill, we drove the 100 yards and visited the old CIC building I worked in as a technical products copywriter. As I had expected, I had that slightly empty, wistful feeling I always get when I visit a place from my past. Maybe you too have had that same feeling when you visited your childhood home, for instance, your old college, or some other location once important to you; these old places from our past feel diminished somehow to me, as much as in size as in the shadows of memory that move and play in the shadows and sunlight by a well loved old tree, or the doorway you once went in and out of, or the parking lot your friends and you used to say goodbye in at the end of each day.

Offline Dane

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 07:14:59 am »
Approximately 7 miles up Route 121 and we were in the outskirts of Grafton, in what was once called Mechanicsville, a name on old maps that few remember today. Grafton suddenly appears, with its perfectly preserved Currier and Ives sturdy frame houses and tidy yards. Most of the town was purchased by the Windham Foundation in the early 1960s and saved the place from eventual abandonment. Perhaps that is why the town has a slightly unreal feel to it to me, a kind of Stepford in the remote hills of Vermont.

But first, we decided to visit an allegedly haunted school house. It was not hard to find, a sturdy brick cube just a few hundred feet off Route 121 along Fisher Hill Road, an improved dirt road, meaning it is tarred. Over the years, the old schoolhouse, called a normal school, has been converted to a private residence, but still retains the character of the original building. According to my little ghost guide to Vermont, you can sometimes see the old blackboards appear on the walls, and at times a ghostly shadow holding a ruler appears at the windows. Now, while I didn’t sense anything there that day, I saw a ghost at least three times on my old morning drive into Saxtons River, a female form who used to walk out of a field and up to the shoulder of the road that leads from Westminster into town. She would disappear as I approached to about 50 yards, and although I always meant to ask the owners of the house by that field if anyone had seen her or other revenants, I never got around to it. The few other times I have seen or been near ghosts, it was never at night, maybe not universal, but consistent to my own personal experiences.

After walking across what was obviously the playground and seeing if I could hear or sense the spirits of the long-dead children at play, off we went and into Grafton.

Offline Dane

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 07:18:11 am »
Naturally, it is going to be quite in a rural village on Easter Sunday, but it is always like this in Grafton. We decided to visit the central graveyard, which has plots dating back to the mid 1800s. There must be older graveyards or even burying grounds in town, and probably they will be worth visiting at a later time.

We drove over the 1860s-vintage covered bridge, and then up we went on the improved dirt road called Kidder Hill Road. Very steep at times and still slippery with frost and ice on this morning, clearly, visitors are rare and not very welcome, and there is no parking anywhere along this narrow road, so as with my last visit, I pulled off at a logging road about ¼ mile from where the road becomes a narrow trail plunging into the hardwoods and abounded old farm fields of Bare Mountain. About ½ mile past the covered bridge, you come across a sign that proclaims this is the Hayden W. Brown State forest, a primitive forest with zero amenities (and even those little trail maps in the wooden boxes by the trail head) that I’d like to explore and even camp in one day. It is named after Brown, the crazed old woman who lived in the last stone house you pass at the end of the road and an unofficial poet laureate of the state of Vermont. The house is still in the possession of the family, judging from the mail box, and is a lovely old stone structure, but just a bit reminds me of the witches hut in Hansel and Gretel. The old woman, perhaps crazy, perhaps just peculiar, had a shotgun at the ready, and would shoot at you if you came anywhere near here in the old days. I got that story from the director of the local history museum, whose dad was one of those fortunately-moving targets of her 00 buckshot-punctuated wrath

Offline Dane

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 07:20:47 am »
After pausing by the old wishing well across the road from the stone witch house, and vaguely wondering how deep it is and if anyone ever leaned too far over the edge, we proceeded into the woods along the old wagon road. It amazes me how tough those teamsters and teams must have been, as the road, which gradually and sometimes suddenly winds down and around the mountain slopes, while not a difficult hike, is also not particularly easy. We passed an abandoned beaver pond at one point, a lovely spot that last summer was alive with dragonflies and other creatures. On this Easter Sunday, it was quite and cold, the sun reflecting off the sluggish ripples of the pond. A while later, we found what I am sure is the right fork, with signs warning that the road is closed temporarily due to logging. This being a weekend, we just carried on, and saw the ugly if necessary results of commercial logging, strictly hardwood, and mostly I think hickory, though there is a lot of elm in this area.

We did spot one wild turkey, but no deer or other animals. There were very fresh moose tracks, and I would have loved to see one of those gigantic animals, but perhaps they didn’t want to see us.

I am sure we were very close. Next time, I am going to bring a topo map and compass, as well as perhaps winter trail maps, as the old wagon roads are now snowmobile paths. We did come across a few hints of old quarrying activity, but the quarries are still unwilling to give themselves up.

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 07:28:21 am »
I'm not making light of your post but that last set of photos looks like a setting for a Steven King novel.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Dane

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 07:29:04 am »
We ended up coming down the side of Bare Mountain not far from Cambridgeport, just as I did before, but even farther from the village. The only native I saw was a dog that didn’t like seeing us and said so, and two old cars from the 1950s rusting deep in the woods. There was also an intriguing old stone cistern, which I half-expected to see the demonic Samara from the film “The Ring” and the Japanese Ringu novels come scurrying out of at any second, it’s wooden top long rotted away. Most unexpected of all was a pet cemetery we discovered. The last burial was around 2,000, nine years ago, but there was what looked like a fresh grave, but still with no marker yet.

As with all hikes, we had to make it back to where we started. I am guessing about 5 hours later, safe and sound and not devoured by any evil forest creatures, we were back by my trusty scarab green Saab named Zog (all my cars get named Zog) and headed back. We stopped for junk food in the little general store in Saxton’s River, which frustratingly didn’t have any Moxie in stock, a wonderfully-strange New England soda (what the natives call seltzer) that is hard to describe but grew on me over time.

Back we went, through Westminster West, back through Putney, one of my favorite little villages in the region, and home of Curtis’ All American Barbeque, billed as the 8th Wonder of the World and a fantastic bbq joint. The place consists of an open air hardwood fire pit, two old blue school buses sans wheels where you place your order and pick up your food, picnic benches under the dappled shade of 100 ancient old hardwood trees, and of course Curtis grilling up racks of pork ribs and chickens in the company of his pet pig. We were about a month too early to stop there this time, though. A nicer guy you will never meet, and ribs fall of the bone in a wonderful way carnivores everywhere would appreciate.

The last photos you see are pinhole shots I took of the Putney Graveyard two autums back. Mostly, I just wanted to share them, so here they are.

Later this spring or this summer, another trip will happen. It is kind of personal at this point to just find the quarries, if you understand what I mean. Rick and Jamie will probably be with me next time, and between us, Bare Mountain will give up it's small secret. At least, I hope it's a small secret. :)

The End

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 07:33:48 am »
I'm not making light of your post but that last set of photos looks like a setting for a Steven King novel.Ron

Cracker, thanks. I always get that feeling when I am up that way. King would love this area if he ever leaves Maine.

Dane
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 07:40:11 am by Dane »

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 10:24:29 am »

Cool! 8)  I would love to go up there with you.  That would be awesome!  I am anxiously awaiting your next installment, in the adventures of the lost quarries...... ;)  Keep us up to date on your travels there.  I would think it would be easier to find the Quarries in the waning months of the winter, and early spring, due to lack of lush vegetation.  Did they have any source of power other than man, and animal?  Was there a mill near by that processed the soapstone?  Or was it just shipped out in blocks, to be processed by other mills, and factories?  I was thinking that they might have used the river for power, or transporting the soap stone.  Well I wish you luck in finding them.  And do keep us updated on your search.

Wayne

Offline Dane

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 07:04:46 pm »
Thanks Wayne!

There was a soapstone mill in Cambridgeport, called the Butterfield & Smith mill. It was the opposite end of Main Street as that old woolen mill ruins I posted the photo of. It was operated by the mill run that ran behind all the industrial concerns on that side of the village. The run is pretty much clogged up, and you would never know today there was even one there if you havent looked at old maps.

Right next to the quarries was the "Steam Stone Mill." It was run either by steam or by a stream. There are a few streams on Bare Hill, and the Saxton River runs through Grafton and then back through Cambridgeport and finally into Saxtons River, and then ultimately to Bellows Falls, where there was a major railhead, as well as more rivers and streams. I think there was at least one more soapstone mill in Grafton itself, so I think they had plenty of ways to get the raw stone to manufacturing firms and to markets outside the area.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 07:23:39 am »
Dane-
Your writing is awesome,  you really capture that New England feel and can clearly translate it to words.  It's funny I've been to Putney and Brattleboro so many times but never ventured East of West from there.  Sam's is such a great place.  I definitely want in on the next search.  Also to try this BBQ joint out.  I usually go for the meatloaf sandwich at the Putney diner.  However,  food served out of immobile buses seems much more Vermont like. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 10:17:48 pm »
Rick, thanks about my writing. For sure, let's arrange to get togther and go up there. I'm going to order some maps from the USGS so we can pinopoint the quarries this time. I'm hoping we can go sometime this summer. I'll let you know as soon as I get the maps, and maybe even in time that we can look them over at the Primitive meet in Jamie's stomping ground.

Stopping at Curtis is a must, and I'll have to try out the diner. Do you remember the general store, about diagonal across from the Putney Diner? It had major fire damage and was closed last summer, but they seem to be rebuilding it now. Basketville is still there, too. :)

Dane

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 05:46:25 am »
Dane-
It's funny you mention that general store.  I have a funny story about an incident that took place there with my wife.  I have an idea, we'll drop my wife off at Basketville.  Then we go search for ghosts, and the mine, gather some rock, have lunch and maybey dinner then come back for her.  We would still be waiting for her to finish shopping ;D.  She loves that place.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 08:08:06 am »
My daughter and her family live in central Vermont so we try to get there at least in the fall.Every year we do a road trip while we are there and search out some of the interesting places.I've seen the articilles on the soapstone quarries,but could never find anyone who knew much on were they are.I really like the story your developing.There's a seasonal eating place in my daughters area called Onion Flats ,they roll in set up for the summer put out some tables and have at it.Well I wish you luck and hopefully we will be up leaf peepin'this fall.Do you knapp? I am always looking for different rock to beat on.
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Dane

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 09:20:14 pm »
Rick, your wife and mine must be sisters...she loves shopping. The curse of husbands, eh? I want to train her to shop for tools instead of 600 count Egyptian cotton sheets.

If you wife wants to come, great, if she wants to shop, great. All good to me.

Bone, there were a number of soapstone quarries in Vermont, and I think only one or two are commercially worked today. There is a ton of really cool soapstone products in the little museum in Grafton. It is really hard, I have found out, to find any info on the old soapstone industry. Maybe one day I should write a book, but I doubt there is much of a market for the topic. Maybe if it was about haunted quarries, it would sell though. :)

I dont yet knapp, but want to learn, and will get around to it one day. It looks like great fun, and I admire stone knappers. I am not sure what kind of stone there is in Vermont aside from rocks they grow in cultivated fields and granate.

Dane