Author Topic: How does everyone here hunt?  (Read 11445 times)

Offline Buffalogobbler

Re: How does everyone here hunt?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 10:07:49 am »
Although I own two tree stands, I rarely use them.
I build a stick blind and hunt from the ground, eye ball to eye ball and last year I killed two whitetails with my self bow, shooting from my chair.
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline woodsman1031

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 03:01:59 pm »
Thanks for all of the input everyone.

Just for grins I went out to the woods yesterday about 4p to see if I could creep around in the drizzle and find a hog. I did not see any hogs, but I was able to get shots at 2 cottontails. I missed both of them ;D.  The grass was so tall that I could only see the their heads. Both shots were about 10-12 yards. One shot went just to the left of the head(lost my arrow)the second went just over. If I could have seen the whole rabbit and aimed at his whole body instead of his head, I would have had some kills. I still had fun though. It built up my confidence some because both of those shots would have been within the vitals on a hog or deer. I saw some squirrels on the ground really close and I may have taken a shot, but they are out of season in my county. You definitely see alot more of the woods when you are still hunting.

Tommy
Jesus Saves!

Offline John K

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 06:03:04 pm »
Sounds like a good time Tommy. Next time aim for the eyeball and you will hit em ! aim small miss small !!
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Bushman452

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 06:14:13 pm »
Rather get busted on the ground, than kill a critter from a Tree stand  ;D .....certanly tree stands are much more productive, but nothing beats getting amongst them ;)
I hear ya brada tree stands scare the cwap outta me. I don't trust em' that's why I prefer to be on the ground and up close.
Rabbit eating, deer killing barbaric savage of the Commonwealth.

Adam Keiper

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 10:27:05 pm »
I use a healthy mix of treestands, natural cover on the ground, and stillhunting or stalking.  The latter is my favorite method, but conditions have to be right.  I've managed to spot several whitetails and slip up on them for a killing shot.  Those are the most heartpounding hunts.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 01:02:04 am »
i like the ground, i hunt outta ladderstands on private property thats it, on the ground allows you to see for country and animals and keeps hunting fun and different from sitting in a tree for 8 hours..
Modern Day Tramp

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 07:37:17 pm »
I cant afford a treestand so Ive ground hunted for 8 years now. Last year was my first stick bow hunt and a buck walked right toword me within 10 feet. when I drew he turned to run down hill a I miss calculated the shoot and missed but that was the first time in 8 years that Ive been within 50 yards of a deer in season. And I think its all from primitive archery. Joel
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

whitewoodshunter

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 08:07:26 pm »
How do I hunt? As honorably and as often as possible!!! LOL I like treestands and ground hunting.Whatever works for the are I'm hunting.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 08:00:40 am »
Hey Tommy,how are ya? You might want to check your regs again in Anderson Co.,(or was it Freestone?),because, this past season,and every season for the last few years,you can take one buck,and 2 does during archery season.It's the same as in my county.It's changing next season however,to the 13" inside spread for one buck,then a second buck with at least one un-branched antler,and 2 does.I think this will happen in Anderson and Freestone as well,but check the new regs when they come out. As for huntin' east Texas,with our terrain,soil,plant species,(many of them are wearin' thorns),and our wary whitetails,stalking into bow range is not an easy job,but, I still try it where I can.I use homemade,hang -on type stands where it is not feasible to still-hunt. God Bless
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 08:13:18 am by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline lowell

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2009, 03:59:41 pm »
99% of the time I hunt from a tree stand...usually less than 15 foot high.  Also the way most people I know in this area hunt.

But for this coming season I have become very interested in a ghillie suit. :-\   Would really like to make that method work!!!  Sure would like to hear something good or bad about them by anyone that has used a ghillie?? ???

Have killed deer on the ground but been quite a few years.
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 05:41:35 pm »
For the last 30 years most of my hunting has been from tree stands. The last few years I have thought more and more about ground hunting and after coming down from my tree stand I try my best to slip slowly and cautiously back to camp with my eyes and ears open. I have had a few close encounters doing this but haven't connected from the groung with a bow yet. As each year passes(I'm 59 now) mortality gets closer and the urge to stay on the ground gets stronger.
   In Colorado a few years ago we only hunted from the ground and I really enjoyed the experience.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chep

• TraditionalArcher.org Traditional archery and traditional bowhunting forum
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 12:05:31 am »
I do everything I can. Call me an opportunist.

Tree Stands.
Still hunting.
Spot and Stalk.
Road hunt.
Ground blind or just on the ground waiting in ambush.

I suppose the terrain and critter dictates more than anything else for me. If I have my way with deer then it will be dependent on the species. I prefer to hunt whitetail deer out of a stand. Mule deer I just walk along the hilltops and ridges and through the forest looking around or in open areas to spot and stalk. When I hunt blacktail deer it's all about still hunting. Trying to catch them coming to the bedding or feeding areas.

Offline mspink

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2009, 11:58:50 pm »
I got a shot at a doe this last archery season in mo at 18 yards standing under two arching trees with natural cover.... Ground hunting for me, unless there is a natural stand in a tree. The indians didnt have tree stands. But they probably would have used them if they did.

Aim small miss small!

Offline sailordad

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 11:17:28 pm »
double bull ground blind for me.i store mine with some earth scent wafers and then tie on a doe in estrus wafer
when i am in the filed.i have had bucks as close as three feet from my blind.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 09:20:48 am »
Mostly from a tree,about 12 to 15 feet 99% of the time. It gives me time to set and think,on the ground ,especially stalking  or still hunting I get to inpatient and move to fast.Plus I like to eat them and the way I hunt on the ground I would get pretty hungry.  ;) :) As for the Indans,first I ant one and second I suspect they used any means they could to kill something and I am sure it didn't matter much how. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good