Author Topic: How does everyone here hunt?  (Read 11352 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: How does everyone here hunt?
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2009, 10:43:11 am »
Mostly on the ground these days as I seem to have lost my head for heights :o

Like to still hunt when conditions are right.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Postman

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 11:24:20 pm »
Usually on the ground or hidden in a deadfall. I've shot a few deer on the ground with compounds and firearms close up,  but hope to get my first with a stickbow this year, huntin' thru the gun seasons with it like last year.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2009, 11:55:34 pm »
Postman,
Dead falls make the best ground blinds!!
I use several of them.
Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009, 12:29:07 am »
Mostly from a tree,about 12 to 15 feet 99% of the time. It gives me time to set and think. As for the Indans,first I ant one and second I suspect they used any means they could to kill something and I am sure it didn't matter much how. :)
   Pappy

I am one.....well 1/4....and I am with you Pappy...I like to eat them too...and I believe thatWhen you are Hungry ....you will take Game from any Advantage Point possible....the Plains Indians used to run Buffs off of Cliffs....so what so bad about a Tree Stand......... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009, 01:50:07 am »
I like it all.  Terrain, weather, cover and deer movement dictates my hunting method.  Thick stuff with narrow deer trails, I'll be in a tree to hide me and give me better visiability.  BUT, give me a misty day with wet leaves and I'll be a stalkin'.  Last season I took my first deer with a bow.  It was on a narrow ridge maybe 15 yards across.  I was in a treestand otherwise I would have been standing right in the path of the deer with little or no cover.  Later in the season, after leaving my treestand and walking to the house, I spotted a deer heading in my direction.  I guessed where it would cross the drainage from my pond.  I was 12 yards from him when he came up out of the ditch.  He was my second deer with a bow.  It was a compound bow.  BUT, I just finished my hickory bow last week.  I look forward to hunting with her this year.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2009, 01:48:00 pm »
I've taken a couple from the ground over the years enroute to or from a stand. I like to eat deer and feel like I'm giving them a pretty good advantage by using a self bow. Would like to keep a few advantages in my favor that height provides.  :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline TreyNC

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2009, 09:21:14 pm »
I hunt mostly from natural material ground blinds. Hoping to take my first traditional deer this year. If it gets hard I have a plan. All I have to do is carry the biggest rifle with the biggest scope I have into the woods with me and a 6-7 yard shot wont be a problem. At least thats the way it seems to be every year!

Trey

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2009, 11:24:52 pm »
Well I usually get up around an hour before daylight, take a shower and put......Oh! ;D   I usually hunt from a tree stand. If there's no tree where I want to be I'll just hide on the ground.  The best buck I ever killed with a bow, I crawled across a hay field and shot him from my knees. 
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2009, 09:57:53 pm »
  I'm usually creeping, crawling, and slipping and sliding,,, oh forgot about wading. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline woodstick

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2009, 11:33:37 pm »
truck, light, gun. na just bsn. depends on the area. i have some spots i hunt from a tree stand, some in a hand made blind, trees grass and stuff. build your own type thing. and a little spot and stalk. just getting into that real heavy. seems more old school. and a heck of a challenge.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken