Author Topic: Tilapia hunt  (Read 8853 times)

Offline PeteC

Tilapia hunt
« on: April 28, 2009, 03:23:11 pm »
We did'nt get the clear calm water we were hoping for,but we made the best with what we were given.It was cloudy,with constant wind,and a very low lake(7'low),but we managed to take 35 blue tilapia.One fish was taken with my new HHB bow and a cane arrow,but without shallow flats I had to put that method on hold.The rest were taken with selfbows with our hand turned reels,spooled with flyline,and shooting manufactured fish arrows.My wife and I had a great weekend with my daughter and son in law.  God Bless

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 03:39:25 pm by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline lowell

Re: Tilapia hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 05:19:23 pm »
I try to learn something new everyday!! :-[

Today you were the teacher.... I always thought tilapia was an ocean fish. :o

Cool pictures and a nice mess of fish!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 05:45:43 pm »
Huh, tilapia look like a over grown blue gill. Never new that....Cool pictures, thanks for posting.  :)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 06:31:55 pm »
Excellent !!! ..thanks for the ride
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 06:57:20 pm »
 Nice haul.  ;D Lake Parker in Lakeland, Florida was the first place they were introduced in the US. They brought the wrong fish, though. It was supposed to be the big, 40# sport fish, not the Vegetarian. You should have been here the first 2 or 3 years after that. There were 5 to 8 pounders then. They hardly get that big anymore with the commercial netting here now. But they are still a Blast to shoot. It look's like yall had a good time.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 07:31:51 pm »
great stuff sir! awesome fishin arrow too!
Modern Day Tramp

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 07:32:28 pm »
Looks like a blast, thanks for sharing.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Timo

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 07:43:09 pm »
Really cool stuff. Good eatin I suppose?  Never seen one before.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 08:21:10 pm »
Tilapia are Vegetation eating fish from Africa.....they sell big time in the Supermarkets....all they are is a Cichlid.... like Oscars....Pacu...and the like...and they are good eating...but a very invasive Species...and hard to fish since they are more Vegetarian than omnivorous
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 08:58:26 pm »
 Wow that looks like a hoot. When I was a kid growing up we used to shoot the suckers in a creek behind the house but that was the only bow fishing that I've ever done.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 01:20:20 pm »
Tilapia are an excellent eating fish.We fillet them just like crappie,and they are a flaky white meat.They can be"bowfished" from a boat,but we prefer to"hunt" them while wading and stalking.They are very wary,and with this stealth method ,one can hunt a hole for a long while,and be much more successful, than those bangin' around in a boat,shooting mostly at fast leaving fish.. The best conditions for hunting are clear,sunny days,with no wind,and wear polarized sunglasses. Eddie,I would have loved to get into 7 to 8 pounders,that would be fun.My biggest is 4 pounds,but there is a lake near Bryan-College Station,Tx.,that has a good many fish in the 5-6 pound range,but I have yet to try it.  Like Mike said,they are a cichlid,native of the Nile drainage in Africa,and I've heard two stories on their introduction.One is that they were intentionally stocked in power plant lakes to help keep water inlets cleaned of vegatation,the other was they were illegally stocked.I don't know,but they make a interesting and tasty quarry for off season. God Bless

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 03:00:59 pm »
 The lake in Lakeland where they were stocked here has two power plants on it. We used to snatch them with Treble hooks in the winter around the hot water outlets.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 08:31:34 pm »
Pete that is very cool. First thing I thought was they look like big ole blue gill . I guarantee thats some good eating. Makes me want to go bowfishing with someone that knows what theya re doing. I went for the first time last year and got skunked but had a good time wading the river and missing a ton of shots. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 08:39:13 pm »
What type of environment do they like? Are there any in the Northwest? If so I go out and get some!

Nice haul!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 09:13:09 pm »
David,in east Texas they can only survive the winter in power plant lakes,yet ,in deep south Texas they will survive in rivers and streams.As far as your part of the country,it would be something to look into though,if there are coal-burning power plant lakes near you.God Bless