Author Topic: new flint knapper  (Read 5721 times)

flatheadkid

new flint knapper
« on: April 25, 2009, 11:38:09 am »
HI,
not sure where to post this.  I just started flint knapping a couple weeks ago.  So far all I make is gravel. 
Is there a site that would list flint knapping classes or meets?  Even a local flint knapper to give me a little direction would be great.
I live on the north side of detroit in michigan.
Thanks ;D

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: new flint knapper
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 11:44:26 am »
Flathead, look in  the Calender of Events. Someone will chime in Im sure...might take a few days cuz most of us are headin to Pappys,lol.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 12:55:52 pm »
Some stuff that has helped me quite a bit so far is
http://www.geocities.com/knappersanonymous/howto.html
http://www.customimprintsbyleeparker.com/images/jimwinntutorial2.PDF
http://www.customimprintsbyleeparker.com/images/bifacetutorial.pdf
you can google "knap-in" "your state" as well for local events. hope this helps, best of luck.

Dustin D.
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 10:06:13 pm »
check you tube fir knapping videos,thats where i learned from.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

flatheadkid

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 08:08:28 am »
Thanks for the advice.
My computer has a lot of trouble with you-tube.  Very slow. 
I have looked at some online sites and a couple books.  I am able to get knice flakes occasionally, but am having trouble controlling them.  I think my problem is reading the ridges and setting up the platform correctly. 
I'll keep on chipping.
What would be a god knappable stone for a beginner.  I am getting low on my 3 rivers supply.  I can get cheap stone at the land scapper down the road in small pieces.
Thanks for your help.

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 10:04:36 pm »
im not up much on stone or whats good for a beginner, being a beginner myself, but i have been knapping the heck out of obsidian. there is a rock shop in town that has it $0.60-$2.00 per lb for rocks depending on type of obsidian. im sure someone will chime in with something better for begginers (and ill go out and get some of that) but for me its working fine.

As for youtube i use mozilla firefox and an addon called downloadhelper, along with flv player you can download the entire streaming file to a media file with .flv extension and have it all there before you play it. (also helps catalog vids you might want to watch again later) and if you would like to take it 1 step further there is a free open source video converter called "super" that will take the .flv file and make it into any kind of file you want (including burnable to DVD-mpegs) hope this helps

Best of luck
Dustin D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:11:59 pm by DustinDees »
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 11:38:02 pm »
Books and vids are fine for starters but you really do need to get with a knapper and learn hands on. The calander of events here or in the back of the magazine might help. Or you can search around on the web. You can make some fine points out of bottle bottoms, tv picture tubes, other stuff you find in the junk pile.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 06:04:09 pm »
 Where are you?  I know a few knappers around the country.  Learning one-on-one is best.  Check out a knap-in in your area.  You'll be able to get rock, knapping supplies and you'll meet some wonderful people willing to share techniques.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.