Author Topic: Tiller Advice Pleeez  (Read 3152 times)

Burner

Tiller Advice Pleeez
« on: May 01, 2009, 04:31:54 pm »
Hello

First bow not sure what to do next any advice would be appreciated

Cheers
N

Offline Timo

Re: Tiller Advice Pleeez
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 05:18:59 pm »
Looks like you have your stick off center to me? Will make it look different.

Give us some specs,length,width,wood type.

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 05:29:43 pm »
Hello

First bow not sure what to do next
Cheers
N

.....Get rid of the tillering stick  ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 06:36:12 pm »
Burner, So far it's looking fairly good especially for a first bow.  As Timo stated first make sure it centered and as Manny said a tillering tree will help as well.  A tillering tree is just something like a 2x4 or anything that will hold the bow and has a pulley down towards the bottom to run the rope or cable through. You are then able to step back and pull the cable and watch the limbs bending in motion. This helps to see what is bending and what isn't. Also it's not good to leave a bow at full draw for over a few seconds. It can cause unwanted excessive set.  Also If we can see the relaxed natural state on the bow it will help the judge the tiller as well. I Can see a little reflex towards the tip on the right and it may need to bend more right there but that depends on the relaxed state.
  The main goal is to get as much Wood working as possible and to remove any excess limb mass that will slow the performance. Hope that helps.     Keenan

Offline smokeu

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 07:51:47 pm »
Yea a tiller tree would help I have to build one myself, what kind of wood is that?

Also a clean background helps to judge. Shadows and shapes in the background will mess with your preception big time.
Im no expert but it does look pretty good, also how long is your drawlength so far.

Mike
Longview, TEXAS

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 08:20:47 pm »
I'm not sure if the stick is as far off center as it appears. I think the left limb is much stronger than the right giving the illusion. Make sure you have the pressure in the center of the bow and pull the center of the string, then post some more pictures.

I would also recommend a tillering tree for several reasons.
 1) It is safer to be pulling from a distance.
 2) You can see the movement of the limbs as it is drawn which can help you see the tiller.
 3) It is soooooo much nicer to the bow. I hate leaving them at full draw like that.

Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Burner

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 08:40:09 pm »
Thanks guys - Yes a proper pulley setup is my next priority. i was wondering why it was starting to show a lot of set!! The wood is Yew it looks rather pale in the pics but the heartwood is darker in real life. There is a bit of reflex in the right tip and the left one had a bit of deflex which I zapped with a heat gun. I'll try and sort out a more effective setup before continuing. Thanks again.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 09:02:48 pm »
It could be taking a bot more set because you are leaving it drawn while taking your picture. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 12:38:08 am »
Looks like yew to me... and like the others have said, ditch the stick and get a pulley system tiller tree.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 10:38:01 am »
Looks good. Left limb just a little bit stronger than right. May be some scrapes mid limb on. Now about the t stick...:( Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!