Author Topic: Mother's Day Heart  (Read 3569 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Mother's Day Heart
« on: April 30, 2009, 12:49:06 am »
I had a small scrap of obsidian that I felt confident enough to tackle the other evening.  It was small to start with and was kind of thick so I didn't think I would be able to do much with it.  My past experience with obsidian was not good in that I hinged and stepped it pretty bad.  I was able to thin it down fairly well (for me) and ended up with a short and wide preform.  Suddenly the thought of making a heart came to mind.  I gave it to my wife and she really liked it.  Then I realized I should have waited two more weeks and saved myself having to come up with a mothers day gift.  No, there is no significance to a Black Heart.  I have some red slag glass and I'm going to try and match it with that. 

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
Re: Mother's Day Heart
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 12:58:27 am »
That is too cool. good idea and nice looking work.

Dustin D
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 02:02:04 am »
That is beautiful and such a loving gesture.  Who says cavemen aren't sentimental.  Sorry, I'm getting all teary eyed.  I need to go club a mammoth or something.   :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 08:53:45 am »
Very nice piece! I made one at Valentines for the wife out of pale blue glass. My skills are very crude, but it bought me more practice time and as long as I can knapp something other than a point once in a while I'll be ok. ;D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 09:24:33 am »
Very cool, Mike. I made one for my wife from pink coral a couple years ago for V-day. She loves that thing, wears it all the time.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 12:47:12 pm »
Good job Otoe I kinda like the Blackheart idea,be good for a certian boss >:D
Ive made a few out of red slag glass ,the girls love em'.Maybe haft one to a shaft use some red macall feathers and have a "cupid arrow"
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 06:23:21 pm »
Steve:  I love the necklace idea.  I was trying to think of a way to display something like that (maybe something a little smaller though  :D) and that looks like the ticket. 

BonePile:  I like you cupid idea too. 

All great advice and thanks for the complements.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck