Author Topic: So how was the Tennessee Classic?  (Read 13301 times)

Offline billy

So how was the Tennessee Classic?
« on: May 04, 2009, 01:04:59 am »
I was planning on going to Tennessee for the classic, so I woke up early that Sat. morning and was planning on driving up there.....until I looked at the radar on the Weather Channel and saw all the damn storms and flooding that was going on up there.  So I decided against it.  So for those who went, how was it?  Did ya'll have fun?  Sorry I missed it...maybe next year! 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline cracker

Re: So how was the Tennessee Classic?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 09:31:59 am »
The Classic is always fun the rain can't dampen the spirit of the Classic. LONG LIVE  THE CLASSIC. Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 09:53:02 am »
I agree with Ron. It was a real joy to meet a lot of good folks for the first time. The rain didn't stop anyone from having a good time. If you've never been, it's worth the trip no matter how close or far you are to TN. Thanks to the Twin Oaks gang for all they did in preparation for and during the Classic!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 11:37:54 am »
If any of you get the chance to come to the TN Classic then you have got to go. Best gathering of archers, bowyers, knappers and others you will ever meet in one place. Plus, the land its one is absolutly amaizing. Feels like you are going back in time to a simpler way of life when you pull in. Especially if you come down a few days before the Classic officialy starts. Wow, what a place! Just wish there was something simmilar arround where I live in the NW!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 11:58:08 am »
Words can't begin to describe the Experience....but I am going to try!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 12:03:13 pm »
was excellent. i dont remember any rain
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 12:41:04 pm »
It was great.  Met some super folks from up north.  They talk funny, but they said the same thing about me.  :)

John
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 03:07:27 pm »
Jamie, it rained while you were knapping out that turtle. ;D Hope your ride back was a little smoother.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Shore08

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 03:15:40 pm »
I was fortunate enough to be able to go this past weekend. I had never shot a bow (well, once as a small kid, but never as an adult). After a bunch of help from guys like Greg and Steve (they both have the patience of saints!) I got a hickory bow built and fired my first ever arrow from it. It was a real thrill. I still appreciate all the help guys! I got to meet Pappy the first day, and he was every bit as nice as you read on here. I know I met El Destructo (Mike, I was the guy that kept waiting for it to quit raining to walk back to my tent) and D. Tiller (I was the guy that got you a bandaid), as well as Yazoo, and I'm sure a bunch of others but there were so many names and faces that I regret to say that I'm drawing a bit of a blank on them, and I am terribly sorry about that! I had an absolute blast and met a ton of great people, and I can't wait for the chance to do it all again.

Although there was a bit of high humidity, there were plenty of covered areas for everyone to congregate under, and it really didn't hamper things too much, the good times just kept on rolling.

Thanks again everyone, and I hope to see ya'll again real soon!

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 08:20:36 pm »
Hi,

I had a great time!  Got a hickory bow built and tillered (added some osage tips at home today) and got some help with the rascally hickory backed ipe bow with the purple heart handle I had glued up at home and carried over to the classic...got some more tillering to do but thanks to Pat and Anthony I have more of a clue of how to tiller a bow now!  Thanks again Pat and Anthony!  Met lots of nice folks but never figured out who Pappy is!  Hope to come back next year and try a snakey osage! 

Rand
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 09:21:56 pm »
oooooooohhhhh!!! ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 09:58:01 pm »
In addition to exposure to the things I love like bows, knapping, and food, I made some great friends. I don't know of any vacation in the past where I've felt so at home with people, Pappy and King Ron are some of the hardest working nicest people I'll ever meet. Thanks to Dana for asking me to go and tolerating me for 24 hours in the truck, Thanks to Jon for his generous nature, I'll think of him when I use the knife he gave me
My fllint knapping skills improved drastically, I learned how to make sinew bow strings, I talked to people with talents that I never expected, I was able to cook for and feed people who love good food.
 I bought the archery supplies I needed, made it through a few days of crappy weather but did it with a smile, I heard about peoples lives not just the bows they made that month.
I'm sharing some of the phrases I picked up, like "Ya'll" or "son" no one here knows what a "frog choker" is but next time we get a good rain I'll use that one, I assume you're all going to use the multi purpose yooper saying "Ya eh, you betcha" the things we shared and swapped
I look forward to next year God willing I can return, so, how was the Tennessee classic? more than I ever expected.
Thanks everyone, remember like Pappy's sign reads "life is good"
VB

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 12:10:39 am »
Billy, A pic tells a thousand words. Here are six!  ;)   At the Tennessee Classic, LIFE IS GOOD!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 12:26:30 am »
 I had one of Pappy's guide's, Dave ask me if I was a fair weather hunter?, you should have made the ride, it was a Hoot.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Dingleberry

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 04:30:46 pm »
Dang, I was bummed I couldn't go this year. :'( :'( :'(  Can't wait to see more pictures, especially the late-night variety.  Did Pappy get accosted by the cops this year? ;D  Any other funny bits would be appreciated.