Author Topic: Osage English longbow  (Read 12631 times)

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Osage English longbow
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 12:35:44 pm »
Beautiful bow very nice tiller,I was thinking the same thing as Chuck on the string nocks. ???
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 10:35:03 pm »
Is there anyway to fix it other than pike it a half inch on both ends and redo it? I realy dont want string on the ends unless I can make it look good.

Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Christophero

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 10:44:31 pm »
You could file and laminate an overlay over the existing nocks.
Pretty work on that bow.  How is the handshock?

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2009, 11:14:35 pm »
Christoph... Please explain your sugestion to me.   

Handshock is very very little but is there none the less. It was more before I heat treated it and then completed bringing it into weight. It shoots pretty nice now.

Danny

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2009, 11:37:21 pm »
Tiller is good but cutting across the back of a nock is not. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 01:25:50 am »
I promie I won't ever do it again Uncle George. lol  Seriously though, I won't. I guess its mistakes like this that keeps me grounded and reminds me I have a ways to go.  Danny

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 10:04:38 am »
That's a fine looking bow. Maybe bending just a fuzz too much in the handle and not quite enough through the midlimbs, but it looks good overall.
PS- mighty tasty looking patch of lettuce and onions, too. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 11:49:32 am »
Thnak you kindly Hillbilly.Those are garlic by the way, the onions are behind me iin the other bed along with the strwaberries.  Danny

Offline Christophero

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 01:05:43 pm »
Danny,
What I was alluding to is when you see someone file the back tip of the bow at an angle and then glue on a laminated tip overlay for strength.  It, also, helps to keep the limb tips thinner as you won't need as much nock grooves on the side of the bow to hold the string.  I'm sure you've seen them on PP as the Baker designed performance pencil tips work real well with overlays.  The reason you would file the back at an angle is to allow a better glue joint, to keep the overlay from protruding out from the back of the bow much if at all, and in your case, to clean up the string groove you already have there.  It will serve just like what you already have but keep the back from splintering.  Just don't file the new overlay material down to the existing back wood of the bow.
Here is an example of what I am talking about on a recurve: 

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 04:35:12 pm »
Ok Christopher let me see if I am geting this right ( i can be a bit dense at times). Make an overlay and laminate it on top of my current back violation. Make the new back groove for the string at an angle. My question is, will there be a void between the bottom of the new piece and the pre existing groove thats already there?  Danny

Offline Christophero

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2009, 09:33:51 pm »
No.  First file the back of the tip down at an angle that removes the existing string groove.  Then glue on an overlay with the medium of your choice, file, sand and shape to a design that suites your eye and you will have a stronger tip than what you have now.  The end result could look exactly what it looks like right now if you want but because you have laminated another layer over the violated back tip wood and filed a string groove only in that laminated material it protects the osage wood fibers from tearing out as could happen as it is.
If you look at the picture of my tip overlay you will notice that I first removed quite a bit of osage from the back of the bow's tip to allow the overlay to "fill in" the removed wood area.  Yet, with the antler, in this instance, now "Backing" the bow in that spot I don't have the worry of the wood splintering here.  Think of it as backing a bow where there is a violation to keep the back from blowing out.  Same principle only used in a single spot.  Then with the Backing on you can file a new groove there with out the danger of a blow out. 
I hope this helps.  Let us see what you finally do.
Christopher

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 11:34:12 am »
Good advise Christopher. When I get it done I will post and update.   Danny