Main Discussion Area > Primitive Skills

Stone artifact found today

(1/3) > >>

Hhop:
Here is a picture of a stone artifact that I found this afternoon. I was really excited about finding this, because I was actually searching for artifacts at the time. I rarely ever find any when searching, but more often just find them unexpectedly. I believe that this may have been a knife, because it seems too thick to have been an arrow, spear, or dart point. It is 2 7/8" long x 1 3/4" wide x about 3/4" at thickest point. It is somewhat beat up, probably from being struck by a farm implement. This was found at the outer edge of a river bottom area, that I always felt looked like a good spot for a settlement or encampment. It is (present day at least) dry most of the time, close to water, near a wooded area, and also with open prairie type areas not far away.

I know some feel that these should be left where found. I however, have always felt that it would be an honor for me, if by some miracle, someone hundreds or even thousands of years in future should find something that I had made, and want to keep it, have an appreciation of it, and perhaps think of me. ( I cannot for the life of me though, think of anything I have made or will make that would qualify as that or last that long! )

Happy New Year!
Harold

[attachment deleted by admin]

Coo-wah-chobee:
  Do you 'knap ?-bob

Hhop:
I have never learned to knap, but really admire the work of those that do. Some of the work turned out by present day knappers is amazing.
Harold

Pat B:
Harold, I have a collection of Native American artifacts that I cherish. I don't think it's wrong to collect artifacts as long as you aren't distroying burial mounds or sacred  grounds. Most of my artifacts came from Coastal South Carolina and were from disturbed areas or where rivers had cut into the bank and exposed them. I have heads, blades, scrapers and other stone tools as well as a complete pot that was given to me by one of my aunts after seeing our collection. This pot, about the size of a baseball, was a gift to her from an old boy friend over 75 years ago. It came from Texas.
   I don't think I'd ever use an artifact on one of my arrows though.   Pat

Hhop:
I agree with that Pat. Everthing I find, is in fields or eroded areas near streams or gulleys. On another site, there is sometimes polite debate about whether items like mine should be picked up or left. At estate auctions I attend, there are sometimes arrowheads and such up for bid. I have no interest in that, but only what I can find myself.
Have a great New Year.
Harold

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version