Author Topic: A Tie Vote for April Self Bow of the Month! - Congratulations  (Read 19444 times)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Congratulations to Keenan Howard of Bend, Oregon
His Juniper Bow Received a Tie Vote

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,12163.0.html
This is a Juniper self bow, She is 67" tip to tip and 63 lbs at 28"  This was from a dead standing sapling,that Dave C. and I cut several weeks ago. I have not triied Juniper unbacked, nor from a dead sapling so I decided to break a few rules.The back looked so nice with the cambium marking that I decided to give it a try as a self bow ,even though it has 26 pin knots.
  The tips are elk antler and the handle wrap has a small bird point that I made a few days ago. I was surprisingly pleased with the performance on this one. Other bows that I've made from juniper have been sluggish at this length of bow, but this one is fairly quick and is a sweet shooter. The bird point is some new rock that I found at a garage sale. I think it's a type of agate   I think I will be trying more standing dead juniper as well.

-"Thats an amazing juniper bow.  I love the finish. I've made a couple of self juniper bows but all of them have eventually developed tension cracks. I think it might be in part to the dry weather here also maybe a difference in species." Jmilbrandt
Dang Keenan that is awesome! Good thing you decided to break a rule or two . The grain on the back of your bow looks strong in tension in comparison to other Junipers I have seen. It's a beautiful piece of wood, and you made it even more so.." Rich Saffold
-"I admire when someone pays attention to detail. You have definately done that on this bow.Very nice work.Top shelf for sure. My fav part is the how the tips blend with the cambium." Timo

And
Congratulations to Mark Baggett of Clarksville, Tennesee
His Gift for a Friend Received a Tie Vote

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,12503.0.html
I finally finished the Osage I have been working on in between all the other things that are going on at the cabin right now. OK enough crying  It turned out pretty nice.It is 67 inches T-T and 65 inches N-N .1 1/2 at the fads to about mid limb then tapered to a little less than 3/8 at the tips.
It is made from 3 year old Osage billets. The tip overlays are deer horn.It is 52@28.It has about 2 1/2 of reflex after resting and holds about 2 right after it is unstrung. I am giving it to a special friend at the Classic,he don't know yet and has no computer so maybe he won't find out about it.   He has given me so much over the years and I have never seen him with a snaky bow
so I feel sure he will like it,at least I hope so

-"What a beauty.  Gary is a lucky guy.  I really like the artwork on the handle.  Great job on that snakey bow." ricktrojanowski
-"That is an outstanding bow, Pappy! Pure quality through out. Jawge" George Tsoukalas
-"Wow. It looks even better than the last time I saw it. I love that upper limb tip, it grabs the eye. This bow has a knot, some snake, antlers, and a built in arrow. If it came with some backstrap he wouldn't even need to leave the house.   But what fun would that be? With a bow like this he should have no trouble getting the backstrap." Bear

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Bear

Re: A Tie Vote for April Self Bow of the Month! - Congratulations
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 03:36:52 pm »
Congrats to both of you!

I can't believe I forgot to take a look at Gary's bow during the Classic. It was nearly finished last time I was there, but I would liked to have seen it dressed to kill.
Just remember, you can't put the wood back on.

East Tennessee

Aosda

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 06:08:10 pm »
Congrats to you both.  Very fine bows. ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 08:28:12 pm »
 Excellent bows! Both of them. What's the odds for a double tie this month.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 09:14:55 pm »
 Congratulations Pappy.  ;) And thank you all as well ;)

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 09:40:50 pm »
Both incredible bows.. congrats to both of you..

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 10:57:50 pm »
Excellent bows! Both of them. What's the odds for a double tie this month.
Actually, considering the classy bows submitted every month, Very Good!
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 11:26:37 pm »
congrats to you both! such awesome bows this month. the juniper bow was fantastic to see in person, very well done. I guess I should have kept that stave ;D that osage bow is a true work of art. congrats again!

Offline Timo

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 11:42:25 pm »
Very nice.Congrats to the both of youins. ;)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 12:13:24 am »
Well deserved wins for sure, couldn't have happened to two better bowyers and brothers of the bow... well done Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 12:42:20 am »
Two excellent bows and both worthy of the win. 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

AKmud

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 03:07:22 am »
Beautiful bows!  Excellent work!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 06:01:14 am »
Congrats Keenan,never thought I had a chance after seeing that one.So many great bows
every month,this place is awesome.Thanks again. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Keenan

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 06:28:16 am »
Pappy I was hoping to some day get a picture with you. ;D  There are so many incredible bows every month that it's an honor to even be involved in this group  of bowyers. ;)  Thanks again.      Keenan

Offline Gordon

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 11:37:28 am »
Keenan, I had a good feeling about your bow when I saw it posted. Now I'm looking forward to seeing that beauty next week at the gathering.

Mark, congratulations on a fine bow. Your bows never fail to impress me with their artistry and attention to detail.
Gordon