Author Topic: Flint source in southern Indiana?  (Read 23519 times)

Offline TRACY

Re: Flint source in southern Indiana?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 11:00:00 am »
I have a bunch of points from the Battle of Tippecanoe in NW Indiana that my grandfather passed on to me that he found as a kid there. The majority of them are hornstone with banding and the bullseye mark on them. It must have been a very desirable type of flint to end up in so many places where it didn't occur naturally.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

StickBender55

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 08:36:32 pm »
Tracy, thanks for the info. I'll catch up with Minuteman on those dates. I think I'll try to make a weekend of it this time.

Any suggestions on books that could help identify the "rock" I need to look for? You guys post a lot of great pics but I guess I need some "special" help.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 03:31:31 am »

Stickbender55, do like it was said, and get your back pack, take a small rock hammer, or any hammer, and go along the creek bed, and start whacking rocks.  If it looks, like it might knap, take it with you.  Then once you see what it looks like on the outside, you will be able to identify it later. ;)  Down here in certain parts of Fla. there is some nice agatized coral, but it looks, like plain ol limestone, or old coral, till you break off a chunk of it.  After it is heat treated it makes, beautiful stuff.  Nice jewelry also, as can be seen by "JCINPC" .  Good luck.  If you just want a fire starter kit, I can tell you how to make a very reliable, and easy kit to make.  Not flint N steel, but modern, but so simple, and effective.  8)
                                                                                                   Wayne

" The Original Stickbender" ;D ;D ;D

Offline TRACY

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 09:25:19 am »
SB55, Noel Justice has a few books out that have color pics in the front. He is part of the IU Glen Black Lab of Archeology there in Bloomington. The book I use is the one about the Midcontinental and Eastern points and spears and can be found at your public library. If not, go to the Lab on campus there and you can see first hand what it looks like. Hope this helps.

Tracy

Dave Dellinger

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 01:50:02 am »
My dad's family is from the Monticello area of NW Indiana. I have a few points and a stone axehead from my grandfather. Uncles and aunts have glass tables, picture frames, etc full of such artifacts. He had shoeboxes full of stuff in his basement that was all lost when he passed.
I'll try to get to Bloomington this summer and look around. My uncle lives right next to a limestone quarry too. Grandmother near a creek.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 03:52:36 am by Dave Dellinger »

Offline stickbender

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 02:15:59 am »

Well stickbender55, it looks like you will soon be in business ;)  You have the forces on the job...... ;D
Seek and ye shall find.  O:)

StickBender55

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 11:30:16 pm »
Hey, all you guys are great!!! I really appreciate the information and encouragement. Look's like I have get a rock hammer to go with my back pac.

I occasionally do some hiking in Hoosier National Forest on the south side of Lake Monroe. I'll have to start looking at the rocks a bit closer.

Dave Dellinger

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009, 02:29:35 am »
Post back what you find. I may or may not be able to visit family this summer, but would be good to know what can be found.

Now I'm craving a tenderloin sandwich and some Big Red...... O:)

Offline TRACY

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 08:16:56 am »
The family and I took a drive yesterday south down around Palmyra and Fredericksburg to scout out the Blue River for some rock. It sure was a nice day but the river doesn't offer much access in these areas and I was unable to find anything other than limestone. I'll take the canoe and pole next time for some smallmouths and hopefully hornstone. Nonetheless, it was fun to get out.

StickBender55

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 08:17:47 pm »
Well Tracy, if you can't find any good stone you just may find some quiet time, great water and a few hungry bronze backs.

Work has had me tied up so I have not had a chance to get out to check on the trails around the south side of Lake Monroe. I'll post what I find when I do. 8) 8) 8)

Indiana

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2009, 09:09:10 pm »
Many dry creek beds in Harrison County Indiana, in and around O'bannon Woods State Park, are literally carpeted with Indiana Hornstone fragments. 

Offline TRACY

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 09:56:05 am »
If you don't have the time or desire to get out, I suggest getting a hold of Eric Morris(pm me for address) . He does this for a living and is a very nice and helpful individual. He was at the Classic this past weekend selling his goods. He's also got a knap in coming up on Father's Day weekend in Leavenworth, IN.