Author Topic: shot placement on whitetail deer.....  (Read 8257 times)

Offline billy

shot placement on whitetail deer.....
« on: May 07, 2009, 11:23:51 am »
After the large number of responses on my stone point trauma pics thread, I wanted to start another thread about shot placement  on whitetail deer. 

I watch hunting shows from time to time, and I've learned where to shoot based on some of those shows.  When my brother called in that gobbler 2 years ago, I had never even loosed an arrow at a turkey before.  I aimed for a spot based on what I had seen numerous bowhunters on TV do when they were shooting turkeys with arrows.  And my turkey died within seconds.

However, I've seen on more than one occasion some pretty horrendous shots on those TV shows, and usually the hunter recovers the animal.  I'm here to tell ya that the recovery is flat out bulls%&*.  The film crew simply filmed the hunter with another animal while the editor spliced it together so it would look like an honest recovery.  I make such bold claims because my brother spent one hunting season filming for a TV show that was on the Outdoor channel, and he's seen it firsthand.  He showed me some of the raw footage of guys shooting mule deer in the pelvis, and another where a hunter shot a mule deer quartering away...that deer ran off trailing 3 feet of intestines that had slipped out of the wound.  Luckily the gut shot deer was found because the arrow angled forward and hit a small portion of the vitals, but the deer shot in the pelvis was never found.   I also saw a video where a guy shot a turkey just forward of the TAIL, yes, that's right...the TAIL, and the next clip shows the guy walking back with the turkey slung over his shoulder.  I know he NEVER recovered that turkey, but the editors were clever in showing that the bowhunters in his show NEVER lose an animal.   

What ticks me off is these lying TV shows brainwash people into thinking they can just shoot an animal in any old place, and as long as their arrow makes contact, then the animal will die and they'll find it within 80 yards.  Sorry folks, that just isn't the case.  Most foam archery deer targets show a "vital area" that extends much farther back into the intestines than in real animals.  This unfortunately promotes shots that are too far back, especially on animals standing perfectly broadside.  I'm guilty of this, and shot a deer last fall that I thought was perfect when it was actually too far back. "But they always recover deer when they shoot them like that on TV......."

Below is a link that shows the anatomy of a whitetail deer.  Click on the arrows to reveal different parts of the anatomy (circulatory, digestive, skeletal, etc.).  Two things I want everyone to notice: where the lungs are and also how the bones of the upper leg angle forward, creating a much larger pocket where you can place an arrow.  On a live deer, what appears to be a bone is actually just the muscle of the shoulder, as the leg bone angles forward quite a bit.  I hope this helps everyone in their success this fall!!! 

http://www.rubsnscrapes.com/Articles/deer_shot_placement_anatomy.php
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 02:44:17 pm by billy »
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: shot placement on whitetail deer.....
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 11:50:45 am »
Very informative.  Thank you.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline PeteC

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 03:23:11 pm »
Very good.It is very important to know the anatomy of the game we hunt,but ,we should also WORK,very hard to be the best we can be with our equipment.We owe it to our quarry. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 06:40:29 pm »
Very helpful. Those shows are a bad thing: give people who dont know what they're doing bad information, which makes them look better while causing alot more animals out there get away wounded >:(.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 07:07:26 pm »
great info as usual brother.... I look forward to seeing more of your articles in the magazine to help those who have questions.. well done.. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 07:16:45 pm »
Good stuff Billy, but I have to make mention something about hitting turkeys low and in front of the tail.I've shot 2 very low,(bout were the breast bone ends and back a bit),Recovered both of them in very short order.Lots of blood. I was told the the intestine area of a turkey is very vascular? (not trying to condon poor shots on any animal here)

Ya have any pics of a cutaway on a turkey?

Offline billy

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 11:31:03 pm »
HEy Timo,

No, don't have any pics of a turkey's anatomy....but I'll look. 

When I said that guy shot that turkey in the tail, if he would have been back 2 more inches he would have shot thru feathers.  I watched the shot and the turkey immediately flew 100 yards, landed, and took off running.  It wasn't a hit in the vitals....probably just cut the large intestine close to the vent.  I mean, it was WAAAYYYYYY  back....there's no way he hit vitals. 
Marietta, Georgia

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 11:09:06 pm »
well i hit one with my wheelie bow about 4 yrs back,right in the shoulder.
10-12 yds at most,i heard and seen the close wing break.it drooped to the ground.i know the wing snapped.
he jumped in the air with my arrow sticking out both sides,one wing flapping the other just dragging along side his body.
he flew,and i aint lying,across a filed that is atleast 300 acres wide.i spent the next 6 hours untill dark looking for that bird on land i
dint even have permission to be on.had to leave my bow and all my gear back on the land i had permission to hunt so idont know what i would have
done if i would have found him alive.never did find him either >:(
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 12:38:49 am »
Well once again I have to some what disagree with you Billy. I've recovered many,many,many whitetail deer that were hit poorly....My gut shot recovery rate has been pretty good as long as the deer were left alone and not pushed for several hours or over night if possible.. Gut shot deer usually don't go very far and just lay down and die in there first bed if left alone. If you do much bow hunting sooner or later your going to make a crappy shot. It happens to everyone. Thats where tracking skills come into play.  Shot placement is in deed critical, but in the real world the perfect shot doesn't always happen. You just always need to do your best to make the best shot you can and be prepared to do some searching when the shot doesn't go as planned. I've killed at least one deer with a bow and arrow, and as many as five, every year since I was 13 years old, with the exception of one year, that was the first year I switched from hunting with a compound to a primitive bow and stuck with it....back in like 2000 I want to say ? Trust me. I've killed a lot of deer with a bow and arrow and a lot of them were not text book shots. I won't stop looking for a wounded animal until I feel the meat would be spoiled anyways or I feel the animal isn't dead and I'm not going to find it. My own stubbornness has found me few deer that that others had given up hope on.  ;)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Anaconda 12

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 07:30:05 am »
Ryano, I think you have missed Billy's point,  The point he was trying to make Ithink is that he is tired of phony hunting shows showing poor placement and then doing editing to make it appear the shot was a perfect lethal shot when a experienced eye can tell by arrow impact that is would not be!