Author Topic: You ever had your Primitive longbow chronoed...  (Read 19636 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: You ever had your Primitive longbow chronoed...
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 09:32:59 pm »
More like how far can it shoot and still have a functional bow!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mspink

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 09:35:54 pm »
ive only chronoed one bow(65lbs @ 26") and that is pictured on this site under (bows by mspink), with a 575 gr arrow it shot 170 and impressed the heck out of the compound guys and myself as well, the other bow pictured seams to shoot as fast but havent chronoed it yet, cool stuff if you ask me
Aim small miss small!

Offline cracker

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 09:36:27 pm »
I've never chronoed a bow. It can turn a perfectly satisfactory bow into a dog in an instant. Anyway I figure if I like a bow that is all that matters.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline yazoo

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 09:45:49 pm »
I have never been in to speed,I like my bows am built for comfort not speed ;D
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 09:58:23 pm »
I have made some bow that have hit 190 fps and more with 10 GPP, not many but a few.  I've not hit 200 fps with 10 GPP yet
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 10:04:14 pm »
Tim, your just being silly ::)  I can tell by looking at your bows that they're probably a good bit faster than average.  ;)
  As touchy as this subject can be...nobody tries to make a slow bow.

Thats 100% true.  But I notice most on here at least do not push the edge just for speed.  Some do.
Westminster, MD

Offline Strongbow88

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 10:32:04 pm »
My hickory bow 62#'s at 28 inches shot a 680 grain arrow 153 fps andd a 500 grain arrow 173fps.
Danny Johnson

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 10:33:16 pm »
I can outrun my arrows to the target. ;D Fast is good, but don't get obsessed with it. There are many other factors that add up to make a good bow. Usually, a screaming fast bow is a shorter-lived bow and is less stable and forgiving than a "normal range" fast bow, and usually less accurate to an extent (but more accurate in the sense of shooting flat over distance). Some people enjoy chasing speed as a challenge, some people just like making a good functional bow that will put an arrow through a deer. There are some guys on here that are cutting-edge as far as design for speed goes-if anybody busts the 200fps mark with a 50-lb. bow shooting 10 gpp, it will probably be Marc, Badger, or some of the other bowyers on here. This topic always seems to get a good argument going between the speed faction and the don't care how fast it is faction. In the end, there's a place for all aspects of archery and bowyery-there is satisfaction to be both had and lost by chasing the chrony, and vice versa. If you make a bow and it suits you and your style of shooting, that's the main thing that matters.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline part Cherokee

• aNiKaWi
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 11:08:35 pm »
Wow a lot of imput on this subject.Thanks!!
Still no 200 mark though huh?
I tell you what i feel if you hit in the 180-190 range with an all natural wood bow
that is amazing!!
Wado
Matt
OsiYo Tsalagi

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 11:16:04 pm »
I'm not sure anybody has hit 200fps at 10 gpp with a glass bow.  If there has been, it's been very few.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 12:01:57 am »
"I have just one word to say....SINEW!!!"
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 09:08:44 am »
I have chronoed a ton of self bows, all wood laminates, and fiberglass bows.  All the arguments aside, trying to craft a fast bow using the standard 10 gpp is interesting for sure, but has very little to offer in the form of hunting big game.  Shooting an 700-900 grain arrow in the 160s to 170s will shoot through anything in north America.  I am not saying that light fast bows do not have a place or a following.  I just think that for self bows should be crafted as heavy as possible and shoot a heavy arrow.  I will admit that I am currently working on different designs that will shoot a mid weight arrow from bows under 70 lbs. .  The bottom line is that all bow making is interesting, it just depends on your focus. 

God bless
Chris Blank

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 10:29:10 am »
It sure is nice to know that selfbows (not mine. LOL) are able to compete with glass  bows in regards to speed. Some of the speeds mentioned above are just outstanding. I don't own a chrono. I test my bows by flight shooting the same arrow from them all. It's a flu flu and I can do the  test in my yard. I compare my bows to my bows. I'm in my own little world anyway.  :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 10:43:58 am »
I chronoed one of my bows once and was so disappointed in the number I never did it again. I don't even remember the speed. As long as you can put the arrow where you want it really doesn't matter at what at speed it reaches the target. Like Hillbilly said, I could probably outrun my arrows to the target. ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 10:53:16 am »
i only chronoed one bow,but that doesnt meet your requirements as it was a boo/ipe lam
othetr than that,never done it again.as long as my bows are accurate and quite thats all i need
heck i dont even know my arrow weight,i just grab some of them and see which ones shoot best from a particular bow
and that what i use from it then.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd