Author Topic: You ever had your Primitive longbow chronoed...  (Read 19609 times)

Offline Kegan

Re: You ever had your Primitive longbow chronoed...
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2009, 11:36:32 am »
With 10 gpp 200 fps hasn't been reached, but it's been topped with some of the better bowyer's bows wand lighter arrows. Some warbows have topped it by sheer power (120# bow and 900 gr arrow).

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2009, 11:47:18 am »
The fastest bow I have ever chronoed was a BBO reflex/deflex  53# at 28" that shot several arrows in the 185+ range.  The fastest was 187.  This bow had very little bend in the outer limbs and seemed to really cast the arrow with a distinct jump near the end of the string throw.  I still have it and use it as a model for my other BBO r/d's.

Dan

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2009, 11:52:13 am »
The BBI bow I posted awhile back is fast. I haven't chrony'd it, but just from observation at the Classic, mine and Jesse's BBI's that we made from David's blanks are right up there with or surpassing most of the glass bows. You can tell pretty easily by watching people shoot at the long-range targets. The bamboo composites that James and David are making are absolute screamers, too. These aren't selfbows I'm talking about, but they're natural material laminates-and it's good to see that they don't give up anything at all to the plastic bows.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2009, 06:48:41 pm »
Like Pat and Cracker stated....Chrony's will make your Favorite Bow...A Dog that never leaves the House....Speed don't reality get it in a Real Life Hunting Situation either...give Me a Forgiving...Quiet....Consistent Shooting Bow over an Arrow Sizzling Speed Stick anyday....the Faster they are....the more quirks they usually end up having. My Sticks are quiet...and easy to shoot...and have never let me down...having to have the exact Arrows...consistently perfect Anchor and Release..... I can pick up one of mine with any Cane Arrows I grab....and snap shoot at most Hunting distances and hit a paper plate...good enough for me!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Rich Saffold

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2009, 02:32:57 am »
Yes, I've chrono'd a few, actually a lot years ago, and I learned a ton about tuning, release, string materials, and so on.. Speed is the last thing I worry about in a bow. If everything else is right the bow will be as fast as all the variables allow.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2009, 09:24:52 pm »
Whats a chrono?  ;)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009, 01:41:09 am »
I chrono most of my bows.  Like Rich said, it can be educational. You don't have to use it to judge the bow, you can use it to judge the archers release or "arrow" dynamics.  ;D I like a quiet bow and a quiet arrow, but I'm not afraid of a little speed if I can get all 3.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline TheWildCat

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2009, 08:19:18 am »
   I must admit I chronograph-ed my bows. My first was a Bamboo backed Red Oak bow 47#@28". I wanted to hunt with it, but was afraid it just wasn't gonna cut it. I am not in to speed, but wanted to make sure I had enough bow to deer hunt with. The best I got out of her was 119fps with a 500 grain arrow. Not enough to generate 25# at impact. I still shoot her as I really like the bow. Anyways, I built a Bamboo backed Osage, 50#@28" . It shot a 500 grain arrow at 165fps in the beginning. After bein shot in fer a while, it is shooting a 500 grain arrow at 155fps. It'll do till I get the next ones built!
"Ifin it Ain't Pork...It Ain't BBQ!!!

TheWildCat

DCM

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2009, 09:31:46 am »
Common fallacy, perhaps just an excuse to sooth one's ego, but fast bows are not necessarily loud, or shocky or hard to shoot well.  In fact the opposite is the case.  But ulitmately cast is and always has been the standard for any and every bowyer, once the other aspects are attained.  And cast is absolutely a very important aspect of any hunting bow in particular, where distance to target is frequently not known with certainty, and time and intellect necessary to estimate well usually very limited.

It can be very humbling, and an incentive for some and an excuse for others.  A chrono will teach you a lot and if you are not careful most of it unrelated to bowyering.  When you see exceptionally large numbers, look for string type and mass, overdraw or other shooting technique, even relative humidity.  Within reason, all well built bows shoot within 5% of each other, within each style and materials obviously.  Conversely, when you see exceptionally low numbers, there's a reason and frequently one of the aforementioned.  But when you completely ignore cast as an aspect of one's prowess as a bowyer, you miss substantially what makes a bow a bow and consequently what makes a bowyer a bowyer.  Nearly anyone can put a string on an appropriately shaped green elm limb right off the tree literally and expect it to not break, and cast and arrow some distance.

My shooting technique is poor, so 170s is the best I've done with a boo backed bow, usually I get in the 160s with selfbows, 10 gpp, 22" power stroke, ~200 grain strings.  I have little doubt a practiced shooter with good technique could increase that by 5 t0 10 fps.  But still, 5 to 10 fps is not all that much on a percentage basis, which supports my earlier argument. 

I've not seen many bows posted here that would not shoot within 90% of the standard, so I expect some who have posted would be surprised what their bows would actually shoot from a machine, all else being equal.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2009, 10:00:00 am »
Most of mine that I have done[and it has been a while] were between 145 and 160 with a 500+
arrow around 50@26.I thought that was pretty slow and I admit I overbuild most of my bows.I think I could make them a little faster but just ant really interested, I do envy the guys that build the fast bows but if they hit where I look and are quite and smooth that is about all I ask from it.
My range when hunting is 10-15 yards so they don't have to be to fast.Good subject I love hearing about this.Maybe someday I will try and speed mine up a little. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

DCM

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009, 12:28:20 pm »
Pappy,

By rough estimate, with a 22" power stroke (yours is 20"), you'd add 7 to 10 fps per inch of draw.  Your talking 159 to 174 numbers now.  Not bad huh?  Devil is always in the details.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2009, 12:37:45 pm »
Now I feel better. ;) ;D Ya I know my short draw don't help.I shoot with several guys that shoot 28
inches of draw and noticed that if they shoot the same weight arrow at about the same  draw weight that they seem a lot faster and penetrate a lot more in the target.
So longer power stroke dose make a difference. More than I would have thought. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2009, 02:48:20 am »
A lot of factors go into the speed read on the chrono when shooting a bow while testing.  I have not been able to get over 5fps difference when shooting bows myself with a single arrow through the chrono.  Meaning the same bow and arrow drawn by hand to my natural anchor and released the way I always release.  My self bows have always held their "own" and then some when shot by the same person through the chrono.  The chrono is a valuable tool when evaluating each design and its proper tiler for a given arrow weight and draw legnth. I think the 10 gpp arrow is valuable in comparing bows over the phone and in forums such as this.  A heavy bow shooting a light arrow also has some merit when shooting at game such as caribou and Dall sheep where distances over 40 yards are some times required.  Other situations lend themselves to overloading the bow such as shooting hogs at night,  grizzles,  and close work on whitetails.  A chrono can show you which bows shoot a lighter than 10 gpp and a heavier than 10 gpp more efficiently for different hunting you may be faced with. I think of a chrono as a tool just like a tiller board and a full length mirror.

God Bless
Chris Blank